MacBook Pro WON'T sleep after installing Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ziggyonice, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

My MacBook Pro will not go to sleep after installing Snow Leopard.

It WILL go to sleep if I close the lid; however, if I have it sit open for 15 minutes, it won't go to sleep. It attempts to sleep, but instead the screen will just go black for less than a second. It's just like a flash of black, and then the screen goes back to normal. It simply won't sleep.

Anyone else see this happen?

2. apthai86 macrumors member

Did you do an upgrade from Leopard or did you do a clean install?

3. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Clean install. No idea why it happens.

4. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I've got the exact same problem! (But I haven't upgraded mine yet.)
    And it was functioning properly before.

5. Fronc macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I'm surprised I can't find more on it online. Only happened after installing Snow Leopard.

Just wondering.. do you have VMWare Fusion installed?

6. vardamir macrumors newbie

Same issue here, except on a Mac Pro. I had no problems with Leopard, and now suddenly with Snow Leopard it won't sleep automatically!

7. averron3 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and found a solution that worked for me, but it is just a crude band-aid. I deleted all of the IOFirewire kexts in the System/Library/Extensions folder (backed them up first), rebooted, and everything is now working (except the firewire ports).

Before you try this, please verify that your firewire ports work/do not work, how your LED is flashing/not flashing when you try to sleep, etc, and report back to this thread so we can gain more knowledge on why this problem is occurring. If anyone has rolled back to an earlier version of OSX and still has the problem, that would be good to know as well. I'd love to get my ports working again.

Some background information to help with troubleshooting until it is really fixed:

I have a MacBook Pro 15 v2.2. Installed 10.6, worked fine for a short while, then simultaneously lost the ability to sleep and gained an extra 3 minutes or so of boot time (ridiculously long). If the machine was told to sleep via closing the lid or menu command, it would start to sleep -- light turns white with no pulse -- stuck. It cannot return from this state and I had to do a hard reset. I also could not get the machine to be recognized as a disk when in target disk mode. Looking back on it, this is probably because the firewire kexts were having problems.

I downgraded to 10.4 since that is what came with the machine, and had the same problems, including boot time. Also reset PRAM, did the reset with power off, no battery, holding power button for 5 seconds and all the other Mac rain dances I could think of to no avail.

10.6 includes a new sleep feature, apparently. I don't know the details, but perhaps this has caused the problem. I don't know what the relation to the firewire ports is, however.

8. aidym macrumors member

Also having the same problem with my Mac Pro (2006). I can force it to sleep by selecting 'Sleep' from the :apple: menu, however it will not go to sleep by itself.

I have tried this on both a 10.6 upgrade and clean install and both have the same problem.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

My MBP won't sleep either after a clean install of Snow Leopard. I'm not sure if my screen is flashing or what other symptoms are occurring before it attempts to sleep, but I did notice the sleep indicator dim and then suddenly return to full brightness when I walked in on my MBP after having left it for a while. The only 3rd-party applications running in the background were ExpanDrive and VMware Fusion. My MBP is symptomatic with both the 32-bit and 64-bit kernels.

10. jmcald macrumors newbie

jmcald

Same problem here on a Macbook. The screen will go black, but the machine won't fully sleep unless I choose sleep under the apple menu. I disconnected the power, pulled the battery, and hit the startup button, but this didn't work (this happened before in leopard, but this process fixed it). Zapped the pram - no luck...
    If anyone finds a solution, please post.

11. anish3232 macrumors member

Same problem my Alum MacBook will not go into sleep on battery. The screen does go black but the light up front is always on and does not flash.

12. spetykowski macrumors member

Same issues as mentioned above with Late 2008 Unibody 15" and clean install with time machine restore. Hopefully this will be addressed in 10.6.1. :confused:

13. spetykowski macrumors member

10.6.1 didn't help the situation, and workaround averron3 gave didn't help either...

Anyone else figure anything else out?

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

ziggy - my 2.33 MBP would not go to sleep via the sleep option under the Apple menu. I would make the selection 2 or 3 times and then a couple of minutes later it would finally sleep. I went the upgrade route as I always do.

Now - a week or so later - everything works fine - as before. 10.6.1 is loaded and the sleep function continues to work well.

I totally fixed it - wish I knew how :D

15. jmcald macrumors newbie

jmcald

Sleep fix/workaround

I just found something that worked on my macbook (then 10.6.1 came out today). I haven't tried 10.6.1 yet. While browsing on versiontracker.com I spotted "please sleep" and there is a snow leopard compatible version on their website:

http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/

This works great for me. My Macbook sleeps fully! :)

Good luck!

16. PerfectCr macrumors regular

Even after 10.6.1 it still won't sleep. Unibody 13" MBP. What gives?

17. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Same situation. Not sure if 10.6.1 changed anything or not, but originally my machine would not even go black. Now I'm noticing that the screen will go black but not sleep -- the sleep light doesn't pulsate ("breathe", etc.), I can just tap the trackpad and the screen reappears.

It's like the setting for display sleep is taking priority over system sleep.

[​IMG]

18. garyd9 macrumors member

If you are having the problem where the machine won't sleep after so many minutes of inactivity (but the machine sleeps fine if you close the lid), please try to uncheck "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible." in the energy saver preferences pane and see if that helps...

(After I unchecked that setting on my own machine, the MBP will sleep after the set amount of inactivity.)

If that helps, are you using an aftermarket HDD or the one that came with the notebook originally?

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Half-tangential: I upgraded my iMac (early 2009 model, 2.93GHz, GTS120 video, 4GB RAM) via upgrade install (not clean) and I have the same problem.
    I thought I would do a clean install after this quarter ends, but if the sleep mode problem is happening to others, then I will wait.

(I have a MBP, 15.4" early 2009 model w/2.66GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, but haven't had it idle long enough for it to try to go into sleep mode yet.)

20. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That's weird. I like it checked, as I have external drives that are daisy-chained to other firewire peripherals -- I prefer the drives sleeping than to hit the power switch...

21. botsmack macrumors member

I too am having this problem. My Macbook Pro (model listed in my sig) will not sleep on its own now. I'm running 10.6.1. I can force it to sleep through the Apple menu and closing the lid. I don't have any USB devices hooked up to it when testing. Wifi and Bluetooth are turned off and nothing is connected to the ethernet port. The only thing plugged in is the power cord.

The screen will go black, but will light up as soon as I touch the touchpad. I've set the time to 1 minute for testing and it still has this issue. I've also tried the option of unchecking the box to put the hard disk to sleep when possible and that doesn't do anything. The machine still won't sleep on its own.

Nothing has changed on this machine except installing the 10.6 as an update, then installing 10.6.1. I've also installed iTunes 9. That's it. Nothing is running in the background -- no apps are open.

22. mark p macrumors newbie

I have the exactly the same problem as botsmack with my 13inch mbp.
    So it seems quite common (and it took me a while to notice so there are probably others who haven't yet)

23. tcbrittt macrumors newbie

solved my sleep issue

Finally got my Aluimi-Uni-Body MacBook to sleep at idle. I have searched all over the internet for a solution, tried every possible solution. This issue started with the Snow Leopard Install. I started watching console and my system was looking for a file it couldn't find. It was looking for .com.google.keystone. I had installed some type of google software a while back and decided to uninstall it. The system was looking for a file associated with this program i guess. I didnt know how to correct this and to get my system to stop looking for this file. The only solution I could think of is to reinstall a piece of google software. I guess it reinstalled the file my mac was looking for, console no longer shows the computer looking for ".com.google.keystone" and my computer finally sleeps at idle.

24. spetykowski macrumors member

I had two programs looking for a file which could not be located. Syphone, and Logmein. I uninstalled and reinstalled both of these programs. And now I am not recieving any messages in my console, but my computer still won't sleep. Did you have to restart your computer to get it to work? or any other subtle changes?

25. tcbrittt macrumors newbie

yeah i believe i did restart afterwards. also, before i reinstalled this piece of google software, i installed the please sleep software. Please sleep worked great *(even with the system looking for the .com.google.keystone file) I did this to see if the computer would sleep at idle with assistance. I then disabled Please Sleep, removed it from opening at startup, and went to work in console to look for what was keeping my mac awake. hope this works for you as well.