MacBook Pro won't sleep with lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Nov 24, 2016.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi All
    I have a 2014 rMBP and when I close the lid with the magsafe power connected, it won't go to sleep sometimes. I turned off App Nap and it still has issues.

I reset the Energy Saver .plist, reseted SMC and NVRAM, but nothing helps.

Do I need to do a fresh install of Sierra?

2. airlied, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

airlied macrumors regular

airlied

Wow! I just got the same here. Today I went out carrying my late 2013 rMBP and when I took it out from the bag It feels warm and the battery is already down to 60% (It was fully charged when I took it out). I just did a fresh install of Sierra.

3. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Happened to me once on the new 2016 MBP TB. Put in the bag at 100%. Took out of the bag, it was warm and at 76% left.

4. Mark1102 macrumors newbie

Mark1102

New Macs won't sleep if you have the power adapter connected and close the lid, they go into clamshell mode instead.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't think this is true since it didn't happen with El Capitan.

It goes into clamshell mode if you have a display connected.

6. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I had the same on my 2015. Could not figure out what it was. I think there is a long thread running on this in the Apple forum. After I did a clean re-install, I have not had the same problem. So much for OSX's lack of maintenance.

As an aside, try running Onyx's automation by clearing out everything. See if it helps

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Should I do a time machine backup and then do a clean install of Sierra and then restore Time Machine?

I don't want to lose all my settings and files.

Cheers

8. GoodOne macrumors regular

My 2013 MBP as well as my 2016 TB MBP have issues with this too although I'm running Windows via Bootcamp. Really frustrating, most of the time it works OK but every once in a while you open up your backpack and find a hot MBP with fans running at full Speed. A couple of times my 2013 survived this to my surprise but I didn't want to take a risk and pressed the power button to initiate sleep or even Hibernation manually. Not perfect but at least it's safe.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Apple just replaced my logic board and the whole bottom of the laptop.

Maybe that's the issue?