MacBook Pro won't sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koolmagicguy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

I bought my late 2011 MacBook Pro recently, and as a first time Mac user (though I'm a HUGE fan of iPod touch and iPad 2) I'm mostly very happy with it. After playing around with it for a month or so, I thought it would be nice to be able to be able to download using a wifi connection with the display closed. I downloaded a bunch of prefpanes and apps (both online and on the MAS) and they all worked perfectly. However, I eventually decided that I didn't want to risk overheating my display and uninstalled them all. All seemed to go well until I closed the lid. My MacBook Pro simply will not sleep. Sure, I can use :apple: + Option + Eject and then close the lid, which is what I've been doing for a few days. But I can't seem to get it back to how it should be (with the automatic sleep/hibernate).

I've tried to remove all possible traces of these apps with Onyx, AppCleaner and AppZapper (I re-downloaded all the no-sleep apps I could remember and uninstalled them completely). I've repaired permissions countless times and restarted my MacBook over and over. If you could offer any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may find some useful ideas here:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep
    One sleep problem caused by printers - solved
    In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner, AppZapper and others doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    You don't need to repair permissions. Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.