Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I used to be able to close the lid and the MBP would fall asleep. Now it only works rarely or I have to use the power button, press sleep, and then close the lid. It doesn't matter if Airport is on or off, if there's no ethernet cable, or if there's no power plugged in. I haven't installed anything recently, so I have no idea what's going on.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've seen an increase in this problem myself. I have Parallels installed but haven't used in it many weeks. I suspect 10.4.8, but i could be wrong. It just recently started happening to me. Irksome.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
This has been happening to me lately also on my MBP (CD). It started soon after I upgraded to 10.4.8. I am a parallels users also.

I find that if I reset the parameter RAM it solves the problem for about a day (which is about 3-5 sleep cycles for me).

But then it goes back to not sleeping when I close the lid.

I took it to the apple store, and they recommended replacing the top of the case and the sleep sensor. The parts are in, but I'm waiting for my new C2D MBP to come in before I can give this one in for the repair.

I'll post the results on this thread after they replace those pieces. Personally, I'm skeptical about a hardware solution. I think it's a software issue myself. But I could be wrong.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I noticed a small difference in the sleep cycle of my MacBook Pro when I upgraded to 10.4.8. When I close the display, the Apple logo stays illuminated for several seconds most of the time, whereas before it would kill the backlight immediately while it was initializing the sleep cycle.

I haven't had problems with my MBP not going to sleep at all. I have a Core Duo.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Curious. It seems like it's also getting hotter now. I hear the fan kicking in more often (and the weather is COLDER here) and sleep is still a problem. Normally I don't mind the MBP on my lap, but now it's getting ridiculously hot.

I don't have Parallels installed and having issues. :(

Any idea how long an Apple repair at a store would take (if it's possible to do in store)? This is my college laptop where I do all of my work. It might be slightly difficult to get through a week or two of school without it. Thanks.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Looks like there's a thread going on in the Apple Support pages. All fingers point the 10.4.8. :(

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
i've got a macbook pro 2.0, with 10.4.10... and i've had this problem for so long now... can' get rid of it!

has anyone had any success with this? or something i have to live with... like dead batteries when i need a laptop and the thing was running in my bag...

r.

nates02gt

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
I had the same problem with mine and the geniuses at the apple store said it was the logic board. it is in for repairs right now. I will let you know what they find out.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
yeah my macbook pro does that 1/3 of the time i close it.
both in windows and mac osx.

just a minor setback, sometimes ill quickly go to work and close my book and it'll not sleep, i bring it out to use it and the battery is drained.

sometimes it sucks cuz ill forget my adapter at home, need to purchase another one lol...

other than that, and a few small things, this thing is dope.

robbiecampbell

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
After I installed bootcamp, and windows XP on my mac and set it up, I started noticing this problem.

To fix it I checked the power management in windows XP and noticed that I had set the computer to never go to "standby". After changing this back to some amount of time (I chose 5 hours, because for some reason when in windows, and the laptop goes to sleep on time out, it locks up) the sleep problem disappeared.

So, make sure, in windows through boot camp, or parallels, that you check if your power management control pannel item has standby at least "on" 5 hours is the longest it offers.

I hope this helps you guys.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.