Macbook Pro wont start after upgrading and changing RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barghi911, Dec 15, 2014.

1. barghi911 macrumors newbie

I have a 13inch Mid 2010 macbook pro with the base memory of 4 GB (which is 2x 2GB chips). I want to upgrade to 8GB, with 2x 4GB chips. I found and ordered what appears to be the correct chips from eBay.

I replaced the old 2x 2GB boards with the new 2x 4GB boards and now my mac wont turn on. When I press the power button, the power light comes on (so I assume its on), but nothing happens on the display...it just stays black. I tried letting it sit for about 10 minutes and nothing happened.

To confirm I bought the right RAM, I played around with different combos of old and new RAM. Long story short, both of the new 4GB boards work as long as I pair it with one of the old 2GB boards. My computer recognizes this combo and show 6GB of RAM (instead of the original 4GB). But even after this, when I install both 4GB boards, I get the same result....a black screen and nothing else.

I'm confident that the RAM is compatible and that I'm installing it correctly...but obviously something is not right.

The RAM that I bought is a 8GB kit, Crucial 2x 4GB DDR3 - 1600MHz PC3-12800 SODIMM Laptop RAM.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

2. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Personally I would box that ram up, send it back to the vendor on ebay, and get a refund.
    Then I would order memory from macsales.com

3. rnodern macrumors newbie

Although Macbooks are fairly picky with RAM, I might suggest that you have a defective stick.

Also, if cheaper look for 1066 or at the most 1333mhz.