MacBook Pro won't start (black screen, but fans working)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audun, Jul 10, 2011.

1. audun macrumors newbie

I've got a late 2008 version of the MacBook Pro. For some weeks ago, I replaced the screen, and everything seemed to work out fine. But when I try to start it up now, the fans and CD-drive runs, but the screen stays black. I tried to connect it to my Samsung TV with HDMI. When the Mac was turned off, the tv said "No cable connected".When I turned it on, the samsung-screen turned entirely black for a second, but then i turned to "No signal". I even tried to close the screen on the mac at startup (i've heard that doing so will make the mac believe it's a desktop pc), but still the same happens. I can neither boot it in single user mode, cd-mode nor disc mode, so i'm a bit stuck.
    And I suppose I broke the warranty by replacing the screen.

Any ideas of how I can solve this problem?

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The problem is the logic board. The video card has a very high failure rate. If you can get it to chime apple should replace it for free assuming you did not damage anything with the screen swap. If you cant get it to chime take it in anyway They might replace it for free anyway. If they wont you can bake the logic board. that has worked for some people.

3. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

OP I had the same problem. Brought it to the Apple store, they did SMC and PRAM. Fixed!!! Good luck