Macbook pro won't start shutdown during update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guiguix, Jan 22, 2010.

1. guiguix macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I left my macbook pro ( early 2008, core 2 duo 2,5ghz, 17") to a friend, i know it's the first mistake :).
    A new update ask him to install and restart, and after a while the laptop seemed to freeze during the install so he press the power button to force the shutdown.
    Of course now the laptop won't start.

When you start it you can't ear no chimes, the screen stay black and the little light in the front stay bright white. I can ear the fan spinning and the hard drive starting.

I test the ram, reset the smc, and reset the pram but i still won't ear no chimes.
    I tried to boot on a tiger disc but didn't work, tried from a leopard install on an external hdd in firewire didn't work, tried to connect it in target mode to an other macbook pro but doesn't appear on the desktop.
    I plugged an external screen but still nothing coming on.
    I tried the single user mode, the verbose mode.

But still a black screen.
    I looked a lot over internet with no good answers. I called apple support, but they didn't give no help.

So here is my question:
    - Is it possible that the update was a firmware update for the graphic card or the logic board ?
    - If there is no chimes, black screen, white light in front steady, what did happen during that update ?

Thank you in advance.

(MAJ):
    I open the laptop, put the hard drive on external on my other laptop, he works i can access all the files, so i have been able to backup everything .:)

- Is there a way for me to fix the hard-drive system or boot from my laptop, so when i put it back in the laptop he should work again ?
    - Do you think, now that everything back-up i should format it in HFS+ from the working laptop ? But until i wasn't able to boot on the cd, does a format hard-drive would change anything ?

I also figure out, it have a nvidia 8600mgt 512 early 2008, is it the series who was giving a lot of graphic trouble ? In some case the graphic card would even died, is it possible it is one of my problem ?

Thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You need to find out what the update was. If it was one of the EFI/firmware updates it may have toasted the EFI to shut down mid-update, in which case you'd have to get it re-flashed or something like that.

I say this, because when you perform the EFI or firmware updates, the computer always reboots with the fan spinning on high speed for a couple moments...sounds plausible.

3. guiguix thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it sound plausible indeed, it would explain the fact that there is no chimes sound and no screen.
    So does someone know if it is possible to flash the EFI firmware again, from a boot disc or an usb stick ?
    Thanks

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

could you boot from the cd and then run the disk repair utility through the cd? Sometimes that has worked for me, fixing the file tree.

5. guiguix thread starter macrumors newbie

No i can't boot on a leopard disc, it doesn't work with "C" press.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

OK, if it was a failed EFI update which sounds plausible...this should fix you right up:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL77

All the instructions for creating the bootable CD are on the page as well as the restoration instructions. Hopefully that may help.

7. guiguix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you buddy,
    I am trying that right away.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Definitely lemme know how that goes. I'll check back a little later!

9. guiguix thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so i can't find any firmware restoration cd for the macbook pro 4,1 (early 2008).
    The latest one i found was the firmware restoration cd 1,8 wich is for macpro and xserve.
    Does someone know where could i find it ?

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The link I gave you with 1.7 should work. 1.7 was the most recent update for the EFI. You could call Apple and verify that, but I think it'll work just fine.

11. scuj1 macrumors newbie

Apologies for hijacking the thread. Was thinking this may be the answer to my problems. After the recent 2010-001 update, my MacBook keeps rebooting (progress bar gets to about 5-8%, retries then turns off).

My MacBook is the Dual Core (not Dual Core 2). Would I be right in saying that this http://support.apple.com/downloads/Firmware_Restoration_CD_1_3 would be the correct firmware (MacBook 1,1)?

Many thanks.