macbook pro wont start today after itunes update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amkaz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. amkaz macrumors newbie

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a Macbook Pro and am running snow leopard. I did the itunes update this AM and now my computer boots up to the blank blue screen after being on the greay apple/timer screen for a long time. On another attempt it I got to log in and it immediately logged me back out.

I tried opening in safe mode and things seemed fine there, but I cannot get in with a normal log on.

As a side note I talked to a co-worker that did the itunes update on their windows machine last night and their hard drive crashed. This could just be a coincidence but has anyone else seen an issue?

I am going to try to boot it up with the Snow Leapord disk in tonight and see if I can get it to work from that, otherwise I have a genius bar appt in the am to see what they can find out. It's like it trashed the start-up OS directories.

:mad:I should add that this SAME EXACT THING happened to me the second week of Jan and we had to wipe out the hard drive and reload the os then my data from back up, so this could just be a hard drive issue... but I was told that was rare for a mac.

thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm confused. First you say:
    ...which is a Windows phenomenon. Then you say:
    ... which further indicates Windows. Then you say:
    ... which indicates you're running Mac OS X.

So which OS are you talking about?

3. amkaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry...

I am running snow leopard on my mac. I get a blank blue screen which I was told was called that. I either get that screen (after FOREVER on the grey apple icon and timer screen) or I finally get to the log in screen but cannot log in, then the blue screen. My question is really about my machine only. I mentioned my co-worker in case it was a known itunes issue.

My co-worker DOES have a windows machine and said the same thing happened to them after the itunes update last night, they cant get into their computer and get a blue screen also but I know it is a different os.

Hope this helps.

bump

4. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

What iTunes update are you referring to, the most recent 9.0.3 update? If so, that's 3 weeks old and I believe the comments on the forums here generally were positive about the update. How did you receive the update? Through Software Updates? Just trying to get a better understanding of what happened.

5. kimmens macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro won't start today after system update

Dear all,

I must say that I have almost exactly the same problem after today's system update. I didn't check what the update was about (I always accept all updates and never had any such problem in the past). But after the update I seem to have the same problem as indicated. After the update the system rebooted. First you get the grey screen with the apple icon, which after a while changes to the typical blue screen upon booting with a spinning ball, but it keeps on spinning forever. I let it spin for over 8 hours (went to work without the machine) but when I came it was still spinning. I could run the system installation DVD to run the Disk Utility which discovered several disk errors (some overlapping files). Disk utility repaired them, but I still got the spinning circle upon rebooting. What now? I would hate to have to reinstall the system. I'll see if I can at least access the machine over firewire as target disk.

Greetz;

if someone finds a solution please let me know