MacBook Pro won't start unless plugged in, but works once turned on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nordichund, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Hi, yesterday evening I picked up my old MacBook Pro after having a new logic board rev2 fitted under guarantee from an authorised Apple store.
    Today I discovered it won't turn on unless it is plugged in at the mains. However once it is turned on I can disconnect it from the mains and the machine runs fine. With the power plugged in the battery still charges.
    I tried an SMC reset to no avail.

Anyone know what the problem might be? If not I'll just take it in again on Monday.

Sorry if the solution to this problem has already been posted on an earlier thread. I have done several searches but failed to come up with my particular issue.

2. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It's probably hardware so I advise you to just take it in again.

3. Nordichund thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Nordichund thread starter macrumors 6502

As a reference for those who might have a similar problem in the future, I took my MacBook pro back to an official Apple dealer here in Oslo.
    It would seem the problem is the new logic card they fitted. They are going to replace it with another new one all at Apple's cost.

Things are expensive in Norway however I'm just happy that Norwegian consumer law ensures that anyone who buys any electrical item here, the manufacturer if forced to to offer a FIVE year guarantee. Basically Apple Care is a complete waste of money here, unless you move abroad and need your machine fixing outside Norway.

5. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Wow, five years? In the EU is 2 years so Apple Care is still a waste of money but five years is pretty good!

Glad they found the issue and that will have it fixed for you.

6. Idefix macrumors 6502

5 years? Let's hear at least 5 cheers for Norway consumer protection!

After all the years of grief produced by the NVIDIA 8600M fiasco (and Apple's obstructive handling of repairs) this is good news.