Macbook Pro won't start up, how do I backup my files now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyroo, Jul 28, 2010.

1. pyroo macrumors member

Hi, I just installed the latest update for safari which was released recently, after installation, it asked me to restart, but it never made it past the apple logo and spinning gear.

I tried to restart the laptop into safe mode, the progress bar never made it past 1/8 of the bar, the bar than disappears and continues to hang with the apple logo and spinning gear.

I restarted my Macbook Pro with the Snow Leopard disc and tried to repair the disk, but it says that the volume could not be repaired, backup as much as possible, erase and reinstall.

Since I can't restart my laptop, how can I backup my files? I have a lot of important school documents and family pictures that I cannot lose. Is it possible for me to take out the HDD, plug it into an external HDD reader and drag my documents off onto another computer? Or would all the files have weird file names so I won't be able to recognize them?

I have searched everywhere and it seems like everyone says that you need to do a clean install, but I need to retrieve my files first before I do so. I am open for ANY suggestions!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

if you have another Mac: Target Disk Mode

If you have a Windows PC: put the HDD into an enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs or an S-ATA HDD reader (via USB and e-SATA), connect it to the PC, download MacDrive (trial) and read the HDD as it would be made for Windows. You will see some hidden files and folders though, but no gibberish file names.