Macbook Pro wont start

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youss, Oct 24, 2010.

1. youss macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have a Macbook Pro (Late 2008 model)
    Battery is a A1281.

The last month of time, my batterys lenght has been to around 30 minutes, which isnt really such a long time, compared to the 4-5 hours it had to begin with.

Now three days ago, it didnt want to start at all, so i've charged it for three days now and even covered it in a blanket, but it still wont boot.

I've tried doing what it says on apples website (Taking out the battery and megsafe - pressing power button for 5 secs, and set everything back together) and the resetting where i hav to press (left) shift + ctrl + cmd + power for 10 seconds.. that didnt work neither.

Now on my old macbook white i could run my macbook without a battery in, but only the charger. - can the macbook pro do the same thing, or does it require a battery at all time? Cus if it cant, then i can try buying a new battery, but if it can then its something else then the battery.

I really appreciate you guys taking a look at this for me - i would rather not end up paying 2-300 bucks to get an apple guy to check it out, and then be told i need a new 200 buck battery.

2. c7aea macrumors regular

How far into the boot process does it get? From the battery # I see it is a unibody. A little while ago my non-unibody MBP wouldn't start up at all. It would run for like 3 seconds and then shut off. It turned out to be the logic board.
    I would suggest bringing it in and have some one take a look at it. Maybe they can test the battery or just put a new one in to see if it fixes the problem.

3. youss thread starter macrumors newbie

it doesnt boot up at all .. no fans, no cd, no nothing.

I live about 500km from the nearest Mac Authorized store, so i'd rather try and fix this my self :)

4. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

Don't buy a new batt. - that isn't your problem. Your MBP should run without the battery on jst the magsafe. So remove the batt. (although I don't see why your batt would give you boot problems but try it anyway) Try to boot. If you get nothing, no chime, nothing at all, then it's most likely, and unfortunately, your logic board. If it is your logic board, get ready to drive 500km and spend $$$.

5. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

if it is your logic board you may want to consider just buying a new updated macbook pro instead of dishiong out the $$$ to fix it.

6. youss thread starter macrumors newbie

are you guys ABSOLUTELY sure, its the logic board?

I cant boot it, even if i pull out the battery.
    But cant it be something else? I mean, like cant i reset something.
    Cus if i drive the 500 kilometers, and find out its just the battery, i'm going to have wasted about 1.000usd (Gas, Bridge fee and repairs)

So please let me know, if it could be anything else.

When i click the little battery-checker button on the left side, it tells me it has battery on (Without my power cord in) so atleast it reacts to something, that has to be a good sign.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If I remember correctly, the computer can run without the battery so long as the power cord is plugged in (albeit underclocked). If you are unable to do this, then it would rule out an issue with the battery.

Can you mail it in for repair?

EDIT: Oh, I see that you'd have to pay the technician to look at it. So I guess not. :\

8. c7aea macrumors regular

It is not necessarily going to be that expensive. If it is not covered by warrantee then apple now has a fixed price for repairs. They will go though and fix/replace what ever needs it. At least here in the US. I needed a new logic board and was charged $310 for the repair and $70 for a "facilitation of service". I was expecting it to be like $1,000. This only applies if the damage isn't caused by the user. Like spilling water on it. Since the OP made no mention of that he should be ok.
    And I would think just shipping it out and paying apple to look at it is a whole lot cheeper then the drive.

9. c7aea macrumors regular

Unfortunately, not really.....
    It says your battery is not the problem and it is something more serious.