MacBook Pro Won't Start

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benhollberg, Apr 11, 2011.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Today I was transferring some photos from my iPhone to iPhoto. It said it was done so I pressed delete photos on my iPhone. Then I got the beach ball, it was there for at least five minutes when I tried to force quit iPhoto. Then I went to the Finder click on the Apple went to force quit and got the beach ball on that menu and couldn't click. I tried the commands but that didn't bring up the force quit box. I waited longer and then just unplugged my iPhone and restarted by holding down the power button. I turned it back on went to the other room and came back an episode of That 70's Show later and it was just that gray startup screen with the spinning thing. I have tried to restart it three times not and the same thing happens, it just stays there. Now I started into the mode where I press Command + V to see what it was doing. The last line reads: "jnl: unknown-dev: update_fs_block: error reading fs block # 422640! (ret 5)"

It has moved down a couple lines about every three minutes but it says the same thing now six times just with different numbers before the "!".

Any suggestios about what to do now or has anyone else had this problem? Also I really hope I didn't lost those photos because they are gone from my iPhone now.

2. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I am not familiar with the info on the grey screen but my first move would be to boot to the OS installation disk and try to repair the drive with disk utility. If that doesn't work then you may have a hardware issue on your hands or worse case scenario you may need to format the drive and reinstall the OS.

Again I am not familiar with your grey screen message but that's what I would do...

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

The gray screen is just the normal startup screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel thing. That just stayed forever. If I boot onto a disc then would I have access to my HDD and everything? Or how does that work, I have used Disk Utility before but not to repair anything, just to format.

I am thankful for Time Machine right now, I just hoped I would never have to use it.

How exactly hard is this reformat or install the OS again?

4. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I just made an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow, I will report back what is all wrong and what happens.

For now any tips or suggestions, I'd rather not go all the way there if there happens to be an easier fix than reinstalling Mac OS X. Has this happened to anyone here before?

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

After spending a long time with the Genius at the Apple store it was determined that my hard drive has failed. Looks like I'll need a new one, I'm going to try to do something somewhere else but for now I'm not with a computer. Anyone had this happen to their June 2009 MacBook Pro?

6. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

After a new hard drive I'm glad to be back up and running with my MacBook Pro.