Macbook pro won't start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ztormie, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Ztormie macrumors regular

Hi
    This is my first post here and english isn't my primary language so bear with me please. I have a Macbook pro 2009 (2,26Ghz, 160 GB HDD, all Apple original parts) which is only a few months old. It has never failed me and I love it. Until now. I usually just put it to sleep when I´m done with it but yesterday i turned it off . Now this morning when I press the power button the mac booting up sound beeps and everything seems normal. The White screen with the apple logo comes on and it starts working. After that however a blue background appears and that "clock"-wheel-thing that spins comes up, then it goes away, then it comes back and spins some more, then it goes away and so on. Nothing else happens. I tried turning it off and botting up again a few times but the same thing happens every time.
    I put in the installation-cd (Leopard) and held down c while I booted up, this seemed to be working at first, the installation menus came up and I chose that option that re-installs OSX while keeping the files on the hard drive. After a few minutes into the installation however I got a message that said (rough translation)
    "The installation failed. Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer. The installation could not install certain files on "/Volumes/MacintoshHD".

What does this mean? Has my harddrive failed or what seems to be the problem?:confused:

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Sounds like the hard disk may have failed, yes. In the installation program you can click Utilities > Disk Utility at the top and check the HD in that.

Next step is to contact Apple, I hope it gets sorted quickly for you.

3. Ztormie thread starter macrumors regular

4. Ztormie thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I checked the hard drive in disk utilities now and it can´t find anything wrong with it. :confused: Can I do a backup from inside disk utlities?