MacBook Pro won't turn off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mathieuplante, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mathieuplante macrumors member

Last night, after a few hours of using it (from 100% to about 8%), I tried turning off the computer for the night. After the dock and everything else disappeared, I got a spinning beach ball of death. The computer wouldn't turn off for at least 15 minutes. I had to do press the power button for 5 seconds to get it to turn off. I restarted it this morning and it seems to be working fine for now, but I'm scared of turning it off again.

Here's what I know: while the beach ball was happening, my wallpaper was still on the screen, the trackpad worked, but the brightness and volumes didn't, so I'm guessing I was logged out and no files were corrupted.

During the beach ball, the hard drive would slow down, then spin back up. I waited until it had slowed down a bit to do the hard reboot. I have to say that I reset the PRAM yesterday morning, thinking it might be good because I changed the hard drive to the Momentus XT last week and I read that you should reset it when you change hardware inside the machine. I did that before the crash, so when it crashed, it was the first time I tried to turn the machine off since resetting the PRAM, could that matter?

This morning, I went to disk utility and repaired permissions, there were probably a few hundred bad permissions, but Mac OS fixed them. I also tried verification, but it was alright. I then ran the daily, weekly and monthly tasks and everything went great.

What should I do? I already have a charger problem and a «screen is too blue whichever way I set it» problem. Do I have a lemon here?

Thanks for your help.

2. mathieuplante thread starter macrumors member

Or is it a battery problem, not a charger problem?

I have the thing where it suddenly stops charging halfway through, the light on the cord flashes and you have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times to get it to continue charging. Since I was on battery when it crashed, near 8%, maybe that's what did it? Maybe the computer knew it didn't have enough current to shut down? I calibrated my battery during the very first week I received my Mac, so a few weeks ago.

3. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

4. moel macrumors 6502

Fix your disk permissions, restart..stop worrying.

5. mathieuplante thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I've already fixed disk permissions as I said above.

I reinstalled just last week, I don't see how disk permissions got that screwed up in barely a week. And stop worrying, sure, because a computer that won't shut down for 20 minutes is normal, is that it? I've never seen a computer do that, certainly not a brand new computer. I think it's normal for me to worry about shutting down my computer with the power button, you shouldn't have to do that.

And I also think it's normal to worry about a battery (or charger) that won't charge and a light that will blink and tell me it's not charging when it's only 65% full.

6. mathieuplante thread starter macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro i5 15 inch base model.