MacBook Pro won't turn off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xlene, Jul 28, 2010.

1. xlene macrumors newbie

I have a 15" MacBook Pro unibody, when I click shut down, to turn it off, it just restarts! It doesn't shut down. The only way to turn it off is to hold down the power button for a few seconds. Even then, sometimes when I do that, it will randomly power up without touching it at all.

Can anyone help me with this?:confused:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you create a new account (System Preferences>Accounts), does the issue persist?

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I doubt a new user area will help, because its happening even when you force shutdown with the power button.

Sounds like a possible hardware fault to me, maybe the power button is touching the connection slightly. Either way I'd take it In for apple to have a look.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could be right, although it never hurts to try. There is still a chance that it is a software problem. But if it still happens in the new account, the OP should take it in to Apple, as it is a hardware fault.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

OP have you tried resetting the PRAM first?

Turn off your computer. Turn it back on using the power button, and immediatly hold Command+Option+P+R until you hear the Mac Chime/Bong 3 times.

That *might* fix the issue. It could be a fault with the data in the power management unit, which is what gets reset when you reset the PRAM.

6. xlene thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I created a new account and I still have the same problem.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Alright, I'd take it in to Apple then to see what they have to say. It's more than likely a hardware fault.