Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisstclair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina (15inch) which I've had since late 2012, and I've got a bit of a strange problem with it.

About 2 months ago, I hadn't used my MacBook in weeks, but it was left on sleep (just closing the lid). When it came to trying to use it, it was dead. I presumed it needed charging so I left it on charge overnight, but when I woke up the charger light was still orange which I found strange. Sure enough when I tried to turn it on it still wouldn't power on - the screen stayed off and there was no signs of life in it at all.

I tried to make an appointment at the Genius Bar but all appointments were taken, so being fairly tech-minded I decided to open the laptop up to check for loose connections etc. I soon discovered it was all very unmaintainable so I didn't do anything, other than blast it with some compressed air to remove some dust. There were still no signs of life, but 2 days later I tried it again just out of curiosity and it booted up perfectly, with ~30% battery!

Now I've stupidly done the same thing - left it on sleep for a couple of weeks, and then tried to use it again to discover it doesn't power on. The charger never turns to 'green' to indicate it's fully charged again, and even when charging overnight the underside doesn't feel warm at all. I've tried an SMC reset (also tried this last time I had this problem) to no avail, all it does is temporarily turn the charger light green.

Has anyone experienced this? The obvious solution is to either get it sent off to Apple or go to the Genius Bar, but I want to exhaust other options first as I don't have AppleCare and want to avoid paying too much for this!

Thanks!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
To what degree is it "dead"? When you press the power button, does nothing happen at all, or does the fans spin and the screen backlight come on?

If I had to guess right know, I'd say you have a faulty battery.

chrisstclair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
To what degree is it "dead"? When you press the power button, does nothing happen at all, or does the fans spin and the screen backlight come on?

If I had to guess right know, I'd say you have a faulty battery.

Nothing at all unfortunately, no fans and no back light. Should it still work connected to power it the battery was faulty?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Should it still work connected to power it the battery was faulty?
- Hard to say. It could screw things up enough that it won't start at all.

If you want, try tacking the back off, disconnect the battery and try to start it without the battery connected. At your own risk, as the machine is certainly not designed to be run that way.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina (15inch) which I've had since late 2012, and I've got a bit of a strange problem with it.

About 2 months ago, I hadn't used my MacBook in weeks, but it was left on sleep (just closing the lid). When it came to trying to use it, it was dead. I presumed it needed charging so I left it on charge overnight, but when I woke up the charger light was still orange which I found strange. Sure enough when I tried to turn it on it still wouldn't power on - the screen stayed off and there was no signs of life in it at all.

I tried to make an appointment at the Genius Bar but all appointments were taken, so being fairly tech-minded I decided to open the laptop up to check for loose connections etc. I soon discovered it was all very unmaintainable so I didn't do anything, other than blast it with some compressed air to remove some dust. There were still no signs of life, but 2 days later I tried it again just out of curiosity and it booted up perfectly, with ~30% battery!

Now I've stupidly done the same thing - left it on sleep for a couple of weeks, and then tried to use it again to discover it doesn't power on. The charger never turns to 'green' to indicate it's fully charged again, and even when charging overnight the underside doesn't feel warm at all. I've tried an SMC reset (also tried this last time I had this problem) to no avail, all it does is temporarily turn the charger light green.

Has anyone experienced this? The obvious solution is to either get it sent off to Apple or go to the Genius Bar, but I want to exhaust other options first as I don't have AppleCare and want to avoid paying too much for this!

Thanks!
It ran out of juice while in sleep mode, and you essentially killed your battery by doing such a deep discharge.

Reactions: me55 and Gav2k

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Exactly as above you've discharged your battery to much. The first time you got lucky. This time I fear you'll be sol

chrisstclair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
It's now back in action thankfully - I'm going to be extra careful from no won to turn it off if I'm not using it for over a day! Thanks all

bensoonter

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020
It's now back in action thankfully - I'm going to be extra careful from no won to turn it off if I'm not using it for over a day! Thanks all

Hey, I know this is a long time ago but I've had exactly the same problem with my Macbook of exactly the same model. Left it in sleep mode when I left China for 2 weeks which became 7 weeks because of le Corona. How did you get yours back up and running? My girlfriend managed to turn it on earlier but it died again and can't get it to turn on again. If you can remember how you got it going it would make my 2 week quarantine a thousand times better.

Cheers!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey, I know this is a long time ago but I've had exactly the same problem with my Macbook of exactly the same model. Left it in sleep mode when I left China for 2 weeks which became 7 weeks because of le Corona. How did you get yours back up and running? My girlfriend managed to turn it on earlier but it died again and can't get it to turn on again. If you can remember how you got it going it would make my 2 week quarantine a thousand times better.

Cheers!
Try disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes, connect the battery, connect the charger, let it charge up enough to get rid of the low-battery screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.