MacBook Pro won't turn on completely. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HuggyLowDown, Oct 1, 2011.

1. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I have a 2010 MacBook pro, with OS X Lion on it, that I bought at best buy. Today, I was using it to share internet (via Ethernet) with my xbox 360 so I can play online. I went to use it when it was still plugged in and all to look up something about the video game I was playing.

It then completely froze when I was using safari. So I had to force shut it down. When I tried to turn it back on, it won't turn on completely! I see the apple logo and the spinning icon (not the rainbow wheel). It just stays on that gray screen all day and gets really hot after a while. Whats going on?:confused:

Lately, the mag safe hasn't been working well, it sometimes won't charge and sometimes it will. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Wont mind making my first trip ever to a genius, but want other inputs before I make an appointment.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Most likely you have directory damage to the Hard Drive. You can boot to the DVD or (freakin' Lion) repair partition and run Disk utility to "Repair the Disk"
    If that fails take it in or pony up cash for Diskwarrior.

3. HuggyLowDown thread starter macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Tried to Boot from my install disc, but it won't do anything. It's now stuck in there.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i dont think its your mag safe. i have a 2010 and the mag safe kinda sucks compared to my old macbook. occasionally i do have to fiddle with it to get it to charge.

what i would do is hold down the d key on boot and run the apple hardware test. btw it takes a long time for this to load.

after, i would also try a smc reset

Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

and i would also try a pram reset

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.

5. HuggyLowDown thread starter macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I ended up taking it to Apple. They said it was the hard drive, and that it was corrupted. Since I wasn't under warranty, they wanted $172 to replace it for me. I passed on that offer and did myself, only costing me $50. My MacBook is as good as new. :D