Macbook Pro won't turn on Early 2008 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digiphantom, Jul 25, 2011.

1. digiphantom macrumors regular

This morning while my MBP was in sleep mode, I heard a sound like it was waking up, but I didn't touch anything. Anyway, it then made another sound that it turned off. Thinking that was odd, I turned it on.

The MBP light indicator would boot for about 1 sec and then turn off. I tried to reset the PRAM and SMC, to no avail... same result. Nothing appears on the screen.

I have an Early 2008 MBP and the Applecare expired May 2011. I'm guessing a logic board replacement is needed. I also remember that Apple is offering to replace the board for faulty 8600GT cards. Do you think the graphic card is part of the problem, so that Apple can replace without costing me a lot of money.

The only good thing out of this is that because I upgraded to Lion last Thurs., I had backed up all my data already.

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Sounds like the video card failed to me. That's what my MacBook Pro did when it died. If anything, you can take it in to the Apple Store and they'll give you a diagnosis. If it's the video card, they'll replace it for free.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Ask a AASP this question.

You can find Apples repair/replacement program here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

4. digiphantom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I figured that. Is replacing the video card, pretty much replacing the logic board as well. Anyway, I'm hoping it is the video card. I rather not spend a lot fixing this and hope that this machine will last me until next year.

If the MBP hadn't died on me, I had planned to open it up this weekend and install a 500 GB hd.

5. iamBATMAN macrumors newbie

If the indicator LED is illuminating and after a short period of time, shuts off, it is not a video card issue (Video Cards on the MBP's are integrated with the Logic Board). It means that it is failing to POST. More than likely going to be a bad Logic Board. Bring it to an Apple Store and see what they say! You can get it diagnosed for free.