MacBook pro won't turn on. FIXED SOLUTION POSTED

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macmaster4848, Dec 27, 2009.

1. macmaster4848 macrumors newbie

macmaster4848

I just got my MacBook pro returned 4 days ago after the hard drive was replaced because the brightness was on minimum and had to be reboot 15 times so it could be changed. I asked apple to replace my battery because it had 1 minute battery life and it had 47 cycles but they didn't. My mac didn't have enough power to start speakers so I rebooted but my mac went into sleep mode and wouldn't come out. I had to force shut down. I tried turning it on but it wouldn't turn on, I tried taking out battery etc and pressed power button 5 secs but nothing changed.

Please don't post stupid answers like take to apple repair because I live 100 miles away from apple repair. I wrote this on my iPod touch.

UPDATE AND SOLUTION TO FIX:

thanks for helping everyone, I took it to apple repair and it turned on. I had been using a 65 watt charging cable for a MacBook, I need a 85 watt charging cable. It was 100 miles away and has been posted to me today. apple told me that a MacBook pro requires 80 watt charging cable, and 65 watt can be bad for the mac and will only work if the battery isn't dead. my battery was dead when I tried to turn it on.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Why not give technical support a call? There support is sometimes helpful since you had problems before.

U.S. iPod and Mac technical support:
    (800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273)

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you ask they'll send you a postage-paid box to ship it in.

4. macmaster4848 thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaster4848

getting it to apple isn't my main problem, I have things in the hard drive I need to have a backup of. And apple has already replaced my old hard drive, I don't want them to replace it again

5. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

use target disk mode
    assuming you have a second mac
    connect the two computers via firewire
    restart the bad one while holding T
    the harddrive should appear on the desktop on the second computer
    (copy everything to an external if somethings wrong with the files then you might mess up your second mac)

6. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

woops! just saw on your post that it was done on your ipod
    you're gonna have to find someone with a mac and use theirs

7. macmaster4848 thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaster4848

there is another mac that I can use for target disk mode but my mac will not turn on at all. Won't even make any noises.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am afraid that your best bet is having to drive to the Apple Store if you need that info. They can get the info off at the Apple Store. You can also talk to someone in person. You may also get a gift card for your troubles. Doesn't hurt to ask! This sucks man, sorry!

9. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

well if your computer can't turn on than apple wouldn't be able to get stuff off because they usually use target disk mode or they boot from a external drive
    they only chance of getting stuff off is finding a mac and swapping harddrives and then backing up your stuff
    the good news is apple probably isn't going to know what it is and will just replace it

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't know what you expect people on a forum to tell you? Crack the thing open and check for 5V DC on the incoming leads? Seriously dude, take it to Apple or have them send you a box.

The only other suggestion I have would be to make sure the power supply is working.

11. macmaster4848 thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaster4848

still won't turn on

do any of you think apple might replace
    my mac because it keeps on having problems and apple only fixes them for a week then they happen again.

12. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If you are still under the 1 year warranty or have AppleCare then Apple will fix your MBP. Usually after you have had it repaired 3 times they will replace it. If you ask them calmly and explain your situation they may replace it sooner.

13. macmaster4848 thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaster4848

I got my mac refurbished and the sound isn't work sometimes. A few months later the screen was black when I rebooted and rebooting 10 times solved this but next day it happened again. I took to apple repair and they replaced the hard drive. Do you think apple will replace my MacBook pro? and if they replace it will they add the 1 year warranty?

14. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If you got it refurbished from Apple, it has the same warranty as if new as long as you are within 1 year from the date of purchase, you're good. Any replacement computer will have a standard 1 year warranty.

Just a thought. Remove your ram, reseat 1 stick, only in the top slot (first accessible slot, not bottom) and try to boot. Worth a try. Worked on one I couldn't get to boot. Bottom ram slot can have issues seating the ram in...

luck-:)

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If it doesn't turn on, all you can do is take it to the Apple Store. There's no magic way to making a laptop suddenly start working by posting on a forum.

Besides, the Hard Drive won't cause the system to not turn on at all. You can tell Apple that you're removing the hard drive and shipping the system in without a hard drive. I've done that before on my 13" uMB because I didn't want them to format my system so I kept the hard drive.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would call up Apple and ask for a replacement. That's a lot of problems.

17. macmaster4848 thread starter macrumors newbie

macmaster4848

thanks for helping everyone, I took it to apple repair and it turned on. I had been using a 65 watt charging cable for a MacBook, I need a 85 watt charging cable. It was 100 miles away and has been posted to me today. apple told me that a MacBook pro requires 80 watt charging cable, and 65 watt can be bad for the mac and will only work if the battery isn't dead. my battery was dead when I tried to turn it on.