Macbook Pro wont turn on. Flashing sleep light

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrscrouge, Oct 5, 2010.

1. mrscrouge macrumors member

I bought a new mpb , i7. a few weeks ago it turned off and it wouldnt turn back on when i connected it to the power source , the sleep light however kept flashing, and it madethis sound like if it was trying to boot. anyway,i left it charging for a bit and it started working on its own.
    however, lately its been shutting down when it runs out of battery instead of hibernating (which is really frustrating). and just now its doing the flashing thing again, cept for a much longer time.. any idea how to resolve this/what might be wrong with it?
    I havent changed the ram on it or anything.

ps. ive been charging it for almost 3 hours and when i press the battery indicator, it shows 1 blinking dot like if it was almost out.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

try this

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1365

i also have an i7 mbp, not had that problem but did have to calibrate my battery a couple of times to get it to last more than an hour on battery.

4. mrscrouge thread starter macrumors member

5. mrscrouge thread starter macrumors member

Just tried all of that. even the cleaning. No luck. -__-

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

if the connector light is green it is not charging. and the power supply is not able to supply enough power to boot alone, it needs the battery too.

7. afro54 macrumors newbie

Honestly!

I won't be sarcastic but, I will add that advice like mulos will get you nowhere.

Of course the Macbook can boot from battery or mains - it doesn't need the battery for a boost. That's just ridiculous.

I have a similar problem, which firstly tells me that my battery is dead, as the charger isn't even trying to charge it.

I have gone through the resets of the PRAM and SMC. I have held down command control and power. I have applied all of these fixes and find that my Macbook Pro will talk to me. A little.

I am now getting five flashing lights - the RAM is defective. Defective RAM will also prevent the screen from lighting up, or eve flashing briefly.

I'm waiting on new RAM to see if that is all that is required to recover my MBP 13 from a wine spill. If new RAM doesn't work, then there is damage to the RAM slots.

If it helps, I took it to Schnapple, who found wine under the battery (hence, not charging), which is next to the RAM slots (which are not working).

8. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Man a wine spill. That really sucks. I don't even drink that close to my MBP.

9. afro54 macrumors newbie

The quickest update!

I just wiped the RAMs and re-inserted them. The keyboard lit up briefly! Progress!

I'm happier that the new RAM might be the end of my troubles, after a new battery too.

I urge all Mac owners to investigate a little, and not just guess, and not just suggest that they:

transfer data to a new hard drive and,
    buy a new computer.

Put it this way, for whatever reason, Windows owners don't give up so easily!

10. wmk macrumors newbie

wmk

For anyone having the same issue (no charging, magsafe solid green, power indicator flashing, fans working at some low speed, macbook trying to boot with no success): it is usually enough to remove the battery and connect it again /yep, even non-removable battery... you would need a small "Y" tri-wing screwdriver/. But I've just had it again, and battery removal didn't help. I had to unplug magsafe, then press and hold left shift+alt+ctrl+Power * and plug the magsafe in, while still holding all 3 keys and power button -- the laptop would turn the fans on at 100% speed -- then release all keys and power button and wait for the magsafe indicator to turn orange... Then you may power the macbook on.

* -- I was trying all possible combination, as the one described in Apple technote's didn't work (plug magsafe and then press left side alt+shift+ctrl+Power), so I'm actually not 100% sure that the one that worked was alt+shift+ctrl -- if it doesn't work try left ctrl+Command+Power, as this was another one I've tried; remember to unplug magsafe first.

11. Lenj macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2018 ---
    Brilliant. Thank you so much. I can t tell either which combination (probably the second one, left ctrl cmd) worked for my mbp after it didn't want to boot after lying around with an empty battery for a few days (waiting for the repair of the magsafe) but it's happily booting now.