Macbook Pro won't turn on / logic board

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patrick J, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Hi,
    The other day, after being all night in sleep mode, my Macbook pro 13" (2009) wouldn't turn on in the morning. After trying many times, I managed to get it to turn on, however it would switch off after 5 seconds. Around lunch time, I managed to play 2 hours in Bootcamp, and browse some forums. Then it switched off suddenly. That afternoon, it wouldn't turn on at all.
    I took it to an Apple Authorized Service Center, and the dude there phoned later that day, and said that it would have to get a new logic board. This was on Tuesday last week. I phoned on Friday to find out what was going on and he said that the part hadn't arrived yet >(

I'm just wondering what might have caused this to break (if it is the logic board, and he didn't mess up the diagnosis)

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Logic Boards fail all the time. I had two replaced in the last 6 months. Logic Boards can cost over $1000. You'd be better off buying a new computer if you don't have AppleCare.

3. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I have 1 year of guarantee, and the "techie" assured me any work would be free.

Today they phone me from the shop, and tell me my :apple: is ready to be collected with a brand spanking new motherboard. Over the moon, I make it to the shop, and when I get there, he rolls out my Macbook, takes it out of the foam, turns if screen towards me, and with great ado pushes the power button.
    On pops the white indicator light, ...and it stays on. Suddenly, the machine gives 3 long beeps and 3 short beeps.
    Unfortunately, I missed seeing the techie's face.
    Says he, "I had it running earlier and ran full diagnostics."

Back goes the machine, and I wait for half an hour before he said that the problem was somewhere other than the motherboard, or something was broken during repairing. Well, I could have told him that.

He said he'd phone tomorrow with any news. I have since contacted Apple, and after an hour on the phone, where I told them that I have lost complete confidence in this unit, and that a machine with Pro in it's name (which I think, even for Apple, means Professional) should last more that 2 months. I have been given a case number, and a promise that someone in Ireland will call me back in the morning.

I researched on the Internets, and found that 3 beeps is usually a RAM problem. A few people had luck in taking out both RAMs and only inserting the TOP one, anything in the bottom slot and the machine wouldn't start. Oh well, I reckon the """"techie"""" will know that.