Macbook pro wont turn on .. tried everything.. 2 Questions I have

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoe5ive, Oct 12, 2014.

1. zoe5ive macrumors newbie

I have a friend who is in a 3rd world country and her pro wont turn on.

I found another known working pro adapter and plugged it in and it displayed the same symptom... dim green and amber light blinking on the mag indicator light.

I tried "almost everything" to get it to turn on.. The main thing I wanted to try was to remove the battery but it seems to be glued on and had a warranty sticker on it which said do not remove so I didnt remove it. The notebook has been left unplugged for a few days and still wont turn on.

Situation is that she has limited nightime access to the web with her iphone. I was there in Haiti for a few days I would of took the macbook home and fixed it but there is no mail so I wouldn't be able to return it. She has a warranty on it but she cant claim it cause of her location.

I tried everything listed here and still no-go:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Things-to-Do-if-Your-MacBook-Does-Not-Turn-On-133615.shtml

What is this white stuff on the main board? Or what does that indicate?:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is this black plastic piece which was found inside the unit.... I could not find where it could of broken off from:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Info:

Was never dropped
    OEM Iphone cord is used to charge Iphone
    OEM Macbook adapter is being used
    Was never wet

Sorry if maybe TMI?

2. 1madman1 macrumors regular

No idea on the plastic bit, but the "white stuff" is corrosion from a liquid spill, there could be a bunch more of it on the other side of the PCB. Cleaning it off with alcohol could get things going again.

3. zoe5ive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks madman....

so only one reply?.... no one else has any input?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

White stuff looks like the type of corrosion you'd get from a liquid spill.

If I was a betting man, I'd say liquid was spilled on the laptop or near the rear vent and corroded/shorted out the power section of the logic board. That computer is done for without a new logic board, plain and simple,

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yep, I +1'd to the liquid spill post.