Macbook Pro won't turn on with SMC reset?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Don Nguyen, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Don Nguyen macrumors member

I tried doing a PRAM and SMC reset to try and see if I can solve some running issues I have been having with my macbook. PRAM reset works fine. However, when I try the SMC reset, the macbook simply won't turn on with the shift-control-option keys pressed down and released at the same time as the power button. If I push the power button by itself, it'll turn on like normal.

One of the issues that I am trying to resolve by doing the reset is the loading bar that keeps popping up every time the macbook is turned off/on. I have apple's SSD and the boot times are extremely slow compared to what it used to be.

-Don

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you're doing the SMC reset properly, it shouldn't turn on while you're doing it. The only indicator, if any, you should see would be the LED on the power adapter turning from orange to green or vice versa or turning off.

The progress bar you see on boot generally means that the computer is doing a disk check or starting in safe boot. Since you have done a PRAM reset and it still happens I'm fairly certain its not safe boot. However, if the disk is doing a self-check every boot, you may want to run Disk Utility using your install disc or Lion Recovery if you have Lion just to make sure the drive isn't on its way out.