Macbook Pro wont turn on. Wondering If I can get it replaced.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djangalam, Dec 29, 2009.

1. djangalam macrumors newbie

I just got a Macbook pro from one of my friends (it had broken and he had got a new one for christmas). He just gave me the computer and not much else, except a case. He said I could take it home and play around with it to see if I could get it to work. Well, after visiting Apples troubleshooting page, etc. I figured I would require special help to fix this computer. However, I wondering as to if I can get this computer replaced under warranty? I don't have any of the paperwork that came with the computer so is this possible?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ask your friend how old it is, and whether he purchased applecare which extends the warranty. I doubt apple will give you a new one even if it was in warranty but rather repair the existing one for you.

I'm sure you'll need some paperwork to confirm the warranty status if its within a year old or within 3 years if he had applecare.

3. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Perhaps if your friend registered his computer online you may not need the paperwork. Ask him. I'm pretty sure that if he didn't drop it, they will fix it.

4. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

If there is water damage, which can easily be detected with the unibody's condensation/liquid sensors inside the case, then you are out of luck.

My advice to you is to open up the bottom lid and check all of the liquid sensors yourself (Google it) and ensure that they are clean before you take it in because once an Apple tech tags the machine as being water damaged, your warranty is void.

If this is regarding a pre-unibody MBP, then the warranty has expired anyway, unless your friend purchased AppleCare. Based on how he is treating the notebook, I doubt that he spent the extra $250-300 for the extended warranty.