Macbook Pro wont turn on, wtf!! help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rodami, Oct 26, 2008.

1. rodami macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I recently got a Macbook Pro (early 2008 model) and now it won't turn on? It previously had the sleep issue where it wouldn't wake from sleep and now this? I tried everything, the power reset (unplug, remove battery, hold power button 5 secs, put battery and plug in, but nothing, I also tried the ram reset one and nothing.) All i get is a black screen

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

3. molecularmac macrumors newbie

Did you do the airport extreme update that had been released?

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Happened to mine. Turned out to be the logic board. Replaced under warranty. Good luck.

5. saabsonic macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro boot problem solved...

I just registered, and then couldn't find the original thread, but this one mentions the same problem...

I'm just back from a Philippines dive trip where my Macbook Pro decided it wouldn't turn on... I tried removing battery and holding down power button for three seconds, restarting from just the power adapter, etc. all with no luck.

I came home and checked MacRumors and found others (there are also other MacRumor threads on this...) and discovered that my problem seemed to be related to UPGRADED MEMORY I swapped in a while ago.

Since I no longer have my original "Apple" memory chips, I removed my existing Kensington 2-gig chips and attempted to start my Macbook Pro with no memory chips (to clear it?) Got a blinking front light. I removed the battery and replaced both chips. Tried it and now it's working fine again.

No idea why the conflict with Kensington chips, but think I'll to do more research and may want to return to Kensington for replacement? Anyway, removing memory, attempting to restart, then replacing memory again solved my no-boot issue.

Hope this helps, and thank you MacRumors Forums!

Saabsonic

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It seems fairly unlikely, but what could have happened is the cable that connects the keyboard, TrackPad and power button to the logic board may have come unseated.
    That would explain the lack of any activity at all when you press the power button.
    It's very easy to fix - it just requires opening up the casing.

This article details how to open the casing. It's for a hard drive replacement, which I did myself today in fact, but you obviously won't need to go beyond the bit that mentions the keyboard cable.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2119529,00.asp

I hope that's the cause of the issue. If not, you'll have to take it to a Genius Bar, I suppose.

Good luck! :)