Macbook Pro Wont turn on!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrank, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MacCrank macrumors member

Description:

2011 MBP (Internal battery). Purchased a month or so again.

Problem:

I unplugged my USB and Thunderbolt cables from my Macbook Pro that was in Clamshell mode connected up to my 2x external screens (running Windows 7 at the time). I opened the MBP and it wouldn't wake, light was pulsing bottom right but nothing.
    I turned off the power and went to start up again and it wont turn on now.
    I have tried the 2x resets SMC and PRAM but still nothing. Held down power for 30secs, nothing.

Any ideas or cause or solution before speaking with Apple?

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Is it completely dead? Does it still make the boot chime sound? Have you tried plugging it into the charger with the battery out and booting it like that?

3. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the above links. However I have tired these before posting and nothing. I dont get power at all so these options dont seem to work for me.

Yes completely dead. As stated it has internal battery so cant removed without unscrewing etc and dont think this is my job when the laptop is this new. Power has always been connected when trying my options.

Waiting for 8am to log a call back from apple.
    Nothing but grief with this MBP ever since new!!

4. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Oh yeah, I forgot it's got an internal battery. Shame, because this kind of thing sounds like a power issue and I'm 90% sure if you could remove the battery, you'd at least be able to boot it up long enough to get your data off it when you return it to Apple or something.

5. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

In apple ATM and they're replacing it with a Brand New one. It was the Logic board!! Only got it in late Dec 2011. Not too good aye!?

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Complete logic board failure on a one month old laptop? Not good at all. You always get lemons though, at least Apple are giving you a brand new one :)

7. torana355 macrumors 68000

It can happen to any bit of electrical equipment. The main thing is Apple are replacing it with a brand new one :) Its also a reminder to backup regularly.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

maybe im misunderstanding what Not too good aye means but you shouldnt be upset at all your geting a new replacement, if they wanted to replace the logic board you would be Mac-less for a week

9. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

"not too good aye" meaning, not good for a 1 month old unit is it?

They did offer to replace the logic board but recommended a Brand new MBP to rule out the problem of the MBP being the problem, should it happen again.

They are transfer all info over to the new one as I type, so I've popped back to my place to get original box, power cable etc to hand back, so I can start fresh. Picking new one up within the hour. Transfer only taking 20mins.

I want to know the issue behind this and if it was something I did or just bad luck. Only time will tell when I do the same again. Whether I should shut the MBP down or put to sleep before unplugging the Matrox unit that powers the 2x 24" monitors??

One question I have asked myself is... Should I get that extended warranty? Hmmm...

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I would

If you google around you will find hundreds of logic boards being replaced, it only looks bad becasue people only make threads when there is issues if everyone that went another year issue free to report it then the people reporting isseus would look less common

11. Geekeey, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

Geekeey macrumors newbie

I have the Answer to this

This is caused by a short on the USB it shorts the system board and the Battery needs to be disconnected from the system board for 1 minute.

Open the back and you will see the battery (big long black rectangle), you lift the small black connector so it disconnects from the system board, leave it disconnected for 1 minute then plug back in.

Press the side button and the light will light up green, put the back back on it will work perfectly, it could be a cheap USB cable causing the issue.

It is very easy to do.