Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjld999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Hi all, I'm new here and completely stuck.

I have a 2010 mbp which has run fine until today. I'm not very mac savvy or a heavy user and it is only now I had any data worth backing up (mainly ohto so of my baby son) so I backed up using time machine to an external hard drive. Whilst doing this I also plugged in another EHD especially to back up my iPhotos to.

The back up seemed to be progressing and photos seemed to copy over to second EHD but then when I went to look on the ehd for the photos to check they had copied the whole system crashed (black screen).

I tried restarting but the power switch won't turn the mbp on. I've tried every solution I can find to no avail such as trying to reset pram and SMC but not sure if any have worked or not as the thing just won't turn on.

I'm off work temporarily disabled with a young baby and haven't the money for anything big to have gone wrong.

Is there anything you can suggest for me to try? I'd be very grateful.

corvustheraven

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Maryland, USA
If the screen went black, it could be any number of things. There was probably a kernel panic. Do you still have the original MAC OS X install DVD? If so, put it in the drive and boot from it by holding down the option key when you turn the computer on (until the apple logo appears). This way, you will be able to boot and repair anything that has gone wrong, or check the SMART status of the disk to make sure nothing is wrong.

Cjld999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Hi guys, thank you for your patience with a newbie and excellent advice. Unfortunately it could not even read the disk :-( Our nearest approved repairers charged us 50GBP just to diagnose it and it's the logic board? They said it's expensive to reolace but that apple may cover this under EU warranty? I'm gutted this has happened with no water damage and not heavily used.

If Apple don't cover this is it something I can replace myself?

Thank you again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.