Macbook Pro Won't Turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xgreatescapex, Apr 2, 2010.

1. xgreatescapex macrumors newbie

I recently spilled water on my macbook pro and found that my left, right arrow and shift keys no longer worked. What I didn't realize is that my power button was affected as well (I tried shutting off my computer a week ago and it wouldn't). So, it usually rests on my desk, charged. Last night, however, I took it off and it discharged. I charged it and found that I couldn't turn it on anymore.

Is there any way to remotely turn on the computer? I was looking into something like a USB keyboard or remote, but can't decide for sure what to do.

Please HELP

2. bluskale macrumors regular

i was going to suggest you swap your hard drive into another macbook, then set it up to boot on a schedule & reinstall.... but then I realized that there's no way your laptop would know you set all that unless it read the info off the hard drive, which would require it to actually boot.... hmm.

supposedly apple remotes have a power button, but I believe you need to pair them first. keyboard booting apparently is not available.

3. xgreatescapex thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't have another macbook to do that with. And with the new unibody, it'd be hard to do it. I would also screw my warranty.

Any other suggestions?

Do you think my power button can be repaired at an apple store? And how much do you reckon it would cost?

thanks

4. bluskale macrumors regular

nothing that wouldn't invalidate your warranty (although spilling water on it may have done so already). One person reportedly fixed their keyboard after they took it apart and put it back together... but the unibody keyboards are basically not worth trying to get to, as far as I can tell. ifixit.com has pretty good illustrated teardowns... they also sell the whole upper case assembly for $300. I expect this will not be pleasant to repair (another $200 for labor?), although the applestore guys may have other tricks to pull for you, who knows.