Macbook Pro won't update??!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TrenosUK, Jul 18, 2011.

1. TrenosUK macrumors newbie

Hi Folks, :confused:

Basically, about a year or so ago I went to update OSX from version 10.5.5 to 10.5.8. The 768Mb file downloaded alright except that when the system rebooted and installed the file the loading bar would just stop 95% of the way through. I left the computer for a good hour or so and came back and it was still in the same position! I ended up just holding down the power button and going back to my old 10.5.5 life. This didn't bother me too much as I thought I could live without the updates (I have since tried installing it again leaving it for as much as a day to no avail). Only recently has this started to bother me because iTunes won't update without the OS update, so whenever I use iTunes I can't use the iTunes store, every three clicks or so within the software I get the message -

"iTunes requires Safari 4.0.3 or later to be installed to use the iTunes Store within iTunes. Use Software Update to download and install the latest version of Safari."

as I can't update Safari without updating the OS, and to make matters worse I can't sync my new iPhone to iTunes without the update!!!!!!!!!

Please, please can somebody help me! I will be forever grateful. :)

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Grab the discs that came with your laptop and do a clean OS install.

3. TrenosUK thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess I need to copy Macintosh HD to an external drive. I have software such as Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, and Microsoft Office 2008 - will I need the discs for them or can I copy them back on with no problems?

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

5. TrenosUK thread starter macrumors newbie

It was the combo update I was trying to install - sorry, forgot to mention it.