Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastforded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
seems like my 2012 macbook pro retina won't update. about this mac says 10.9.5

update page shows high sierra installed, i think...

any thoughts?

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 3.47.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 3.47.16 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 267

caileach

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Did you download it without installing it?

Look on the Launchpad and to see if there's a High Sierra installer there.

fastforded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Did you download it without installing it?

Look on the Launchpad and to see if there's a High Sierra installer there.

not on my mission control, but i did download 10.10.x yosemite. it had its own installer, and took about 45 min. then my macbook restarted, but that about this mac still says 10.9.5... not understanding this? maybe i need a clean fresh install? it wasn't ever updated from 10.9.x so maybe it got all clogged up from the minor updates?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
One possibility - High Sierra requires a Boot ROM (EFI firmware) which supports APFS. For most Macs (including MBP's), the Boot ROM would get updated (if necessary) as part of the OS install or update. It may be that, for whatever reason, it isn't getting updated.

Open the "System Information" app. It should open such that "Hardware Overview" will appear on the right. Look for "Boot ROM Version". The latest High Sierra installer may not install the latest Boot ROM as there were Security updates which updated the Boot ROM. However, if you have a Boot ROM with all numbers (something like "999.0.0.0.0"), that should be close enough for APFS. If you have a Boot ROM version that starts with "MBP101", post what version you have - it looks like "MBP101.00DA.B000" was current as of Oct. 2017 - something much lower (the "00DA" hex number) would indicate the Boot ROM hasn't been updated in a while.

You could also open the "Console" app and look for "/var/log" on the left, look for "install.log" in the middle and go to the very bottom of what appears on the right and see if there is any error messages. This type of log isn't easy to read so just look for something obvious around the time the installer was downloaded.

fastforded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
One possibility - High Sierra requires a Boot ROM (EFI firmware) which supports APFS. For most Macs (including MBP's), the Boot ROM would get updated (if necessary) as part of the OS install or update. It may be that, for whatever reason, it isn't getting updated.

Open the "System Information" app. It should open such that "Hardware Overview" will appear on the right. Look for "Boot ROM Version". The latest High Sierra installer may not install the latest Boot ROM as there were Security updates which updated the Boot ROM. However, if you have a Boot ROM with all numbers (something like "999.0.0.0.0"), that should be close enough for APFS. If you have a Boot ROM version that starts with "MBP101", post what version you have - it looks like "MBP101.00DA.B000" was current as of Oct. 2017 - something much lower (the "00DA" hex number) would indicate the Boot ROM hasn't been updated in a while.

You could also open the "Console" app and look for "/var/log" on the left, look for "install.log" in the middle and go to the very bottom of what appears on the right and see if there is any error messages. This type of log isn't easy to read so just look for something obvious around the time the installer was downloaded.

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B0A

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B0A

According to one web site (Apple doesn't publish this info so we have to rely on what other people report), this Boot ROM is from 2015, so it doesn't support APFS and there's a good chance that's why High Sierra won't install.

As to why the update doesn't occur, there's no definitive list of reasons that I can find. If you're not doing the update with AC power, you should try that. Also, in Disk Utility, click on your internal disk and see if your "Partition Map is set to "GUID Partition Map" or not. Also, try running the "Terminal" app and type in the command "diskutil list". Look for your internal drive, and see if it has the "EFI" partition (it would be prefixed by "1:"). Not having any of these could prevent the Boot ROM from getting updated.

fastforded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
so, i ran the yosemite installer, which restarted the pc. about this mac still showed version 10.9.5

then i found the high sierra installer in the app folder, ran that, and it ran thru the entire big update process, and i had to accept the terms, enable siri, etc.

rebooted and now says high sierra 10.13.4

also said some apple mac application was no longer useable... think it put it in a folder? can't seem to find it

thanks for ask the suggestions...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 3.24.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 3.24.08 PM.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 207

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Glad you got High Sierra to install.

The "Incompatible Software" folder should be in the root directory of your startup disk. In Finder, select "Go" from the menu at the top of the computer screen. Select "Computer", then double-click on your startup disk. Applications that can no longer run as is may also show up in the Applications folder with the icon crossed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.