MacBook Pro Won't Wake from Sleep (Even after Restart)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mateosaadeo, Jan 6, 2008.

1. mateosaadeo macrumors newbie

Okay, so before the dumbass walks in and doesn't read the thread, yes I have updated the firmware, reset the PMU, and reset the PRAM. It still doesn't turn on.

I left my Macbook Pro 15" 80gb hd 2ghz 2gb ram on and it naturally fell into sleep like it should do after 30 minutes and like it had done for the 18months I'd used it in the past. Now it won't wake from sleep even after a restart. I can only shut it down via holding down the power button and while the display shows to be in sleep, the computer boots up and functions perfectly. (I have iChat to connect automatically when I start up and I can see myself logged on with another computer.) But the display remains entirely blank and the sleep light in the front remains solid. I have also tried to boot from the cd drive/osx install dvd but it still remains black. When I tried to put it in Target Disk Mode so I could read the files, the sleep light started blinking really quickly (faster than if the ram were installed incorrectly) and didn't work.

I have AppleCare but there are a few blemishes on my case (read:3.5" scratch under the apple logo and a dent on the bottom) so apparently I'm outside of warranty completely. I have opened up my MacBook and taken the hard drive out and connected it via an enclosure and it functions perfectly and I can read all my files. Even after reinstalling the hard drive back into the computer it still doesn't work.

Is there anything stored on the hard drive that tells the computer to go into sleep? Is there a hard reset other than the power button for the logic board? What part would you experts think would be the culprit? Essentially all I am trying to do is

a)avoid paying Apple upwards of $1200 to fix
    b)avoid buying a whole new laptop

Thoughts?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've seen exactly the same behavior on mine, and it's fairly recent. I strongly suspect this is due to one of two possible things: a recent Leopard update ( I do all system updates), or the addition of new RAM (I added 4GB recently).

The RAM passes all tests, and the fact that I only see it when I bring it out of sleep (or try to, at least) suggests to me it's not the RAM.

I turned off Bluetooth after seeing some sign of that being an issue in the logs, and it hasn't happened since, but I just did that this afternoon. Something for you to try?

3. mateosaadeo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to try to, but it won't even turn on. Maybe I could physically disconnect it? Any idea as to where that plug might be?

4. premneo macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem after adding the 4GB RAM. So I changed it back to the original 2GB RAM and the problem dissaperared. BTW where did u buy the RAM from?

5. DirtyDan macrumors member

This happened to me once, and it happened while I had bluetooth turned on. I don't always have bluetooth on and it hasn't done it since I turned it off.

It will probably be fixed in the next update. I use InsomniaX anyways and really don't sleep my computer that often unless it's on battery or I'm not moving it very far. Usually I just shut it down.

6. DirtyDan macrumors member

Oh and to get mine to come back up I opened it, took out the battery, disconnected the power, and re-inserted the battery, started it back up, and then plugged the power back in. Hope that helps! :D