Macbook Pro won't wake from sleep.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lgcolddrink, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Lgcolddrink macrumors newbie

Last night after I shut my MBP, I went to re-open it a few minutes later to find the computer to do nothing. If I try a hard restart with the power button it sounds like it is going to boot but nothing happens. The only real indication I have that it is even on at all is the light on the lid latch is on but not pulsating. When the lid is up the light is very faint and when the lid is closed the light is bright. I have tried most of the things i saw on the apple support site with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Lg

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Is the HD spinning? hold your ear to the right palm rest and press the power button.
    I assume you have already tried resetting the PMU (power management unit) with the key combo from Apple support.

3. Lgcolddrink thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe the hard drive is spinning. I also did try the resets through apple.

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Sounds like there may be a problem with the computer getting power.
    I know its a default response around here, but you should call applecare, they will get you fixed up.
    Sorry I can't be more help

5. Lgcolddrink thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries. I called them and they ran me through the same steps I already went through off of the apple support page. they told me to take into an Apple store and get it checked out.

Thanks for the help. :)

6. Ogre420 macrumors newbie

I have been having the same problem. Just started happening about a week ago. Spoke with Apple and as well no luck. They also told me that I would have to go to an Apple store.

I have found that it takes about 5 to 10 minute to boot (most of the time booting there is nothing but a blue screen). But once up and running it works great, just like normal.

Once I close the lid it seems as though it gets stuck in sleep mode. The sleep light is a constant dim light, not the usual pulsating light. And when I open the lid there is nothing but a black screen and a dim lit light.

Mine was purchased late 2008 when they had the special for the recondition MBP just before they released the new Mac Books.

7. OngL macrumors member

I had this problem recently, The screen lit up but stays blank... Can't do anything and doesn't respond to any keys. I had to power down it by pressing power button for few seconds.

8. Talon- macrumors newbie

Check if your MacBook Pro boots up normally when plugged into an external monitor (if possible). If it does, then it seems your MBP isn't properly coming out of sleep mode.

I had this problem recently with my previous MBP, and they decided to send it in to replace the logic board (motherboard) and the LVDS cable.

9. iris4@mac.com macrumors newbie

This is taken from this site: http://www.windley.com/archives/2007/10/fixing_macbook_pro_sleep_problems.shtml
    I had the same problem and stumbled across this, it definitely solved it.

10. kingslod macrumors member

kingslod

So has anyone done this? I started to, but got this ominous warning from terminal:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I have, it's perfectly safe. That warning is just to tell you that in the event your computer lost power in sleep mode, you would lose the immediate data stored in the RAM.

12. Wardotron macrumors member

I had a few sleep issues with my unibody MBP; not going to sleep, not shutting down or starting up again after sleep. Turns out OSX had got its permissions in a twist; one whiz over with Disk Utility and hey presto.

13. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

simply start from extern hdd and use diskwarrior 4.1.1 ;)

14. MacYost macrumors member

I have the sleep problems too, on a 13" MacBook Pro. I am using secure virtual memory, but my sleep mode is set to "3". The article states it should be "7". Could this be causing the problem?