Macbook Pro won't wake out of sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gtgrad95, Jul 11, 2007.

1. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

I put my 3 day old MBP to sleep last night with a 90% battery level (with the A/C adapter unplugged). I had calibrated the battery the day before. This morning, when I opened the lid, nothing happened. I thought this was odd. I then pressed the power button and heard about 1 second of the startup tone and then nothing. I repeated this twice more with the same result. I then plugged in the A/C adapter and the MBP booted up. The battery level was 86%.

What do you think has caused this? Do I have a defective battery or something more serious?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you make it happen again? If you unplug your Mac from the wall, can it still boot up?

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

on a somewhat related note, I have been experiencing long wait times in waking my MBP. On my older powerbook upon opening the screen, I would have an image in about 1.5 seconds. In my MBP the screen remains black for well over 5-8 seconds. While this is certainly not the end of the world, I find it odd considering the improvements to the FSB and the major difference in processor and ram and screen (led) compared to a 4 year old powerbook.

Anyone else having this problem? Or is it in fact just part of the new MBP and not a "problem" in actuality?

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

maybe you used that terminal "hack" that changed the sleep mode from normal to deep sleep ?

5. chem macrumors regular

I hate to dig up an old thread, but I think this is a big deal. I have the exact same problem... sometimes. I also have a bluetooth mouse (logitech v270) that I use... sometimes. I'm not sure if the problems overlap, but I am going to try turning off bluetooth wake as recommended in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=233839

This weird sleep problem is the only issue with my new SR MBP so far.

6. muffinru macrumors newbie

I have issues with my MacBook going in and out of sleep mode... two things that I've noticed:
    1) The macbook sometimes will not come out of sleep mode after opening the laptop. I will have to almost, but not completely, close the laptop again and wait to hear it come out of sleep mode. If this doesn't work, I have to reboot the computer.
    2) Sometimes after coming back from sleep mode, the brightness level will be turned all the way down. If you look REALLY close, you can barely see parts of the screen (same as if you intentionally turned the brightness all the way down). This cannot be corrected by turning the brightness up, and since I can't see anything, I have to reboot.
    :(

7. Smash27 macrumors newbie

Smash27

Exact same thing happening for me. Not sure if it is a real 'problem' either. Anybody know for sure?
    thanks

8. mjrkjm macrumors newbie

exact same thing is happening to me with a brand new macbook pro with leopard? anyone have a fix for this? muffin ru?

thanks

9. diehldun macrumors 6502a

This happens several (if not many) times for me on my brand-new MBP. When you open the lid, you hear the "bee" sound, but then the screen is completely black and the "snooze" light goes off. You can hear the machine running, but I can't do anything; it's almost like it's still asleep?!?

10. mjrkjm macrumors newbie

so i just called apple, after like 45 minutes of hold time, apparently its a "known issue in leopard". the temporary fix is to uncheck "automatically reduce the brightness of the display before sleep" in the energy saver.

for the last 3 times that i used sleep, this has worked so hopefully they come up with a permanent solution soon

11. rskang macrumors newbie

I am having same issue with my MBP with leopard. It has happened several times and the situation is always one of the two:

1) Mac wakes from the sleep the screen is lit but my touch-pad and keyboard will not respond.
    Solution shutdown or restart solves the problem
    2) Mac never wakes from the sleep and I have dark screen, nothing seems to work sometimes I will hear the fans though
    Solution: force shut and restart

This was not that frequent earlier but today it has happened twice already.

12. theman macrumors 6502a

I am experiencing similar issues. it was worst if the mbp fell asleep while the lid was open. it would hang and then everything would be all choppy. this only happened after leopard.

I also had tons of sleep problems for 2 days after i calibrated the battery. it doesn't seem to like having the battery drained....

13. theman macrumors 6502a

nope, i have always had this unchecked. the thing that did it was just to increase the time it takes to fall asleep, so it rarely falls asleep when the lid is open.

looking forward to 10.5.1.....

14. byttle macrumors member

byttle

um...you need to download...iamprincecharming...

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Not twenty minutes ago did my Macbook Pro fail to wake from sleep.

16. ghettochild macrumors regular

17. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Happened again this morning... and the keyboard was completely unresponsive this time. I did find out, though, that if you hold down the 'power-off' button long enough (without actually rebooting), it kind of resolved the issue without shutting down. Frustrating still, nonetheless.

18. debaire macrumors newbie

If I go into System Preferences and just move settings around a bit and then close out, I get the keyboard back. However, it seems to cycle and then I can't use the keyboard for a bit. Eventually it comes back again, but this is annoying to say the least.

19. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Mine does this sometimes.

Did it this morning.

Open the lid, fans spin etc, but nowt on the screen, left it for a while still nowt, gave up and force rebooted :confused:

Only problem I've had with it so far :eek:

20. MBM355 macrumors newbie

As others have said above, sometimes when I open my MBP the screen won't turn on for a good 5-8 seconds.

21. jawzzy macrumors regular

Yeah, this a really huge problem for me. I have that same weird effect where if i try to wake it from sleep sometimes without my MBP plugged in, it won't respond, but if I plug it in, it instantly wakes up. Sleep overall is really ******, it almost never wakes consistently.

I often wake up my computer when I get to class and if it doesn't wake consistently, often miss a lot of important notes or announcements while i struggle with my computer.

This really bothers me, I hope Apple releases a fix soon.

22. rskang macrumors newbie

I did a clean install of leopard and the problem was still there so I took my MBP to the geniuses at the Apple Bar last week. They acknowledged the problem as it happened right in front of them. They said that it was possibly a software issue and he suggested a clean instal since I already did that he insisted on doing a clean install from their own master leopard disc. I agreed and got it back next day and NO PROBLEMS WITH SLEEP MODE ANYMORE
    About the keyboard not responding issue he said that the Apple engineers are working on the problem and they will release a fix pretty soon.
    Hope this helps some of you guys out there.

23. leftcolumn.net macrumors newbie