Macbook pro worst build quality ? ? ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markus843, Oct 29, 2012.

1. markus843, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

markus843 macrumors regular

(2012 macbook pro basline model)
    Hello everybody

I would like to start off with that this IS a rant, please don't flame, for my this is my opinion, and if you disagree with anything I say, that is all fine you can reply or quote me, I would like to see your opinions also.
    Why might I saw that macbook pro's have really bad build quality? I've had about 6-7 problems within 2 months. When I first got my macbook, I had 2 problems first thing, the black hinge at the back was sticking out and I could move it left and right, the second problem was that the trackpad was uneven. I tried returning it the 3rd day and I had the worst time doing so. They kept trying to convince me that all macbook's had that defect. I finally managed to return it with much pain, and got another one. I noticed that the charger in the box didnt have the plastic rapper around it like it did in my other macbook pro. Then, I noticed that the trackpad was still uneven, but the opposite corner was dipped in. I decided it wasn't the biggest deal since I use a hand held mouse most of the time. About 3 weeks after, the black hinge at the back of my macbook started to get loose, and it started moving left and right, just like the other one. I tried returning it but they said that there was a 14-day time limit. I thought it wasn't too big of a deal so I just kept it. But recently (2 months after purchase), I noticed that the screen was crooked, and the hinge started to make cracking sounds. I went to 2 apple stores and like always, they said it was normal. I went to bestbuy (where I bought my mac) and they told me to call apple by the phone. I phone apple, and they tell me to send it in, and if it's repairable, it will get fixed. If it was not covered, I would have to pay them to repair it. OR if it was un-repairable because of the macs hardware or something, I would get store credit. I am now waiting on the response. It's just sad that I pay $1k+ for a laptop and I had so many problems.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Sounds like you bought it from some fools. Sorry for your experience. My 2012 is built like a tank. Sending in gets you the best result usually. Have faith. They are NOT supposed to be uneven or creaky or have a misaligned trackpad.

3. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

I agree.. one thing the (now aging) cMBP line have in common is that they are very durable.. my gfs 2011 MBP is very solid. She even dropped it once on concrete (she fell down herself and it slipped out of her hand) and apart from some small scratches on the back it's still working beautifully..

It looks like you got a lemon.. they exist everywhere.. doesn't matter what product you purchase.. but you have the added benefit of applecare and their usually great customer service.. I shudder to think if I had to deal with Asus or Sony customer support if I had issues..

4. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, hopefully it all works out

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Being a frequent buyer of new Apple laptops, pads, pods, & phones, I've accepted the decline in product quality. I'm not knocking Apple just stating my experience. No matter the product, it's been three years since one came out of the box without damage.

I attribute it to all the excuse makers that stand up in denial & hide their eyes. That kind of behavior proves to Apple that they can get away with anything.

Plus we have no choice when we're loyal Apple users. It's a take it or leave situation. I'm not about to leave Apple, especially since their arrogant attitude is nothing new.

6. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

+1

7. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

the regular macbook design barely changed in the past 4 years i doubt there is any decrease in quality LOL

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Derbothaus gives good advice.

Return it again. Or deal with AppleCare directly. This is unusual and unacceptable.

9. sectime macrumors 6502a

Since you didn't say where you bought it, and got hassled by the seller, I would run the serial number on Apple's warranty checker.

10. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i was just wondering, if you have a problem the first time why don't you just return it for a refund and buy another one, so your 14 days will be refreshed.

11. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I stated the answer to your question in my long paragraph :)

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Not trying to be difficult, but your post from yesterday said you've had 4 problems. Now you're up to 6-7. I know you're frustrated, but exaggerating to make it sound worse isn't helping anything.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478732&page=2

From your other thread, it sounds like you went to Apple Retailers, not an actual Apple Store. Service there is going to vary a lot, but they were right to tell you to send it in to Apple. I'm glad you're sending your computer in. You're under warranty, so getting it repaired really shouldn't be a big deal. Build quality in general is pretty high on these computers. You got a bad one, and I understand that's frustrating, but it doesn't mean that Apple has the worst build quality. Hang in there, your computer should be repaired soon.

13. leman macrumors 604

I usually buy a new Mac every year or two. All were perfect. The only problem I ever had was with a refurbished iMac I bought - they forgot to install the WiFi card ^^