Macbook pro worth it for retina display alone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cooperb21, Sep 12, 2015.

1. cooperb21 macrumors member

I dont need the extra ram, or power im only using it to watch movies, tv shows and browse the web. The only real problem is the Air just seems to have such a low quality display on a 1,000$ laptop it makes no sense. You can get the ipad air 2 which has a better display for 600$ but i dont want an ipad since its way to limited in the OS in downloading files and movies it all has to be from apples store's.

Im thinking of this mac book pro

2.7GHz Processor
    256 GB Storage

• 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    • Built-in battery (10 hours)2
    • Force Touch trackpad

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can download movies from Google Play, and I'm sure there are other sources.

That's probably the best value!

3. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Well the macbook air is 1350$ for changes and specs i want.

Mac book air is 1,800$. Not sure if the display is worth 450$ or not.

Also im not talking about google play im talking about downloading for P2p.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You get a faster CPU and GPU along with that better display.

Then just say that you're not interested in the iPad because it makes it harder to pirate movies.

5. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

I buy movies/tv shows but there bluray's but that really does not matter because apple is going driveless now but im kinda old school i like to buy bluray's of my fav shows once i watch them and music of my fav artists on cd. I just like a laptop because its not as limted and you can do more on it. I mostly would use it for netflix, watching download movies, youtube and browsing.

Im actually kinda thinking of getting the macbook but im not sure.... I dont think i need all the ports the only thing i would ever with my laptop is maybe charge my phone everything else i dont need ports for that people complain about now on the macbook.

Plus i get a retina display 256g SSD for 1549$ where the macbook pro is 1800$. Im not sure if i should get the pro for all that because i dont need the extra power for just watching videos and using websites do i?

Another thing to note ill be using the laptop mostly in bed. Would the macbook be easier to hold and use for long periods laying down?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go to an Apple Store and give one a try. I absolutely hated the keyboard and I need the extra ports so I ended up with the 13" rMBP.

7. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

All these issues would be gone if apple just had a retina Air... There is no middle ground at all. All have there down sides if air had retina it would outright be the best laptop.

The macbook lacks ports and has worse keyboard. The macbook air lacks a retina display other wise its my favorite my aunt had one. The macbook pro has the retina display but cost is alot more and it bulkier and i dont like the design as much.

Im leaning to getting the 13"inch air but im wondering how does HD 1080p content look on it? Considering its 1400x900.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It seems to me that the Air is eventually going to go away.

9. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Why would they get rid of the air? Its the middle ground for people not happy with mac book pro or macbook. All i want is the retina...

Honestly maybe i should just get a windows laptop i could easily get what i want which sacrifice of something. Since there are so many makers on the windows laptop ill eventually find one that is suited for me.

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If you have a home computer to download to, the iOS app Air Video HD will let you convert virtually anything to iPad format, leaving the video untouched.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The retina MacBook with a price drop and a few upgrades is a pretty suitable replacement for the Air.

Windows 10 is a great OS, but I always find myself going back to OS X. If you find a PC laptop that suits your needs, go for it!

12. VesselA macrumors regular

there is a definite improvement from sharpness, to contrast and black levels, to no more colour and tone shift if you move slightly or display tilts.
    If you are into photography its definitely worth the upgrade if you can afford it, its like having a 13 inch iPad quality display along with SD card reader built in

13. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

I think im gonna get the 13" air. I think i can live with the display and i loved everything else like the battery life.

14. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

No i wont be doing photography on watching youtube and movies.

15. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

If your mainly watching videos the poor resolution of the air won't be as noticeable but the color distortion at angles will. If your going to get the air then look for a refurb or open box deal. Odds are you'll want to sell it in a year anyway once the rMB price drops and you come to realize how sweet the retina is for reading.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

In my opinion yes - but it depends what spec MBA you are comparing it to.

As soon as you start customizing the MBA it gets very expensive relative to the base model Pro, very quickly.

The Pro's screen is night and day vs. a Macbook Air and the biggest differences i notice are with text. It is far less jaggy, far easier and nicer to read, etc. If you read a lot on the machine (e.g. web browsing) it will be noticeable. The viewing angle is also way better and the distortion is much much less.

The MBA screen ruins the machine in my opinion - but the price, if you go for one of the standard specs isn't too bad.

For what it's worth, the battery life I've experienced on the 13" Pro is pretty awesome. I regularly get 9+ hours doing stuff like watching videos streaming off the internet.

17. geesus macrumors regular

geesus

I recently upgraded from an Air to a Pro and once you have used the Retina screen for a bit, it is impossible to go back. I think you will always regret not going for the better display. I did prefer the design of the Air, but the difference in weight is not as dramatic as you expect, and the Pro is actually smaller in the other dimensions, baring depth of course.

I hardly notice the difference in battery time either. 10-12 hours isn't significant of me, though you might have more need for the extra few hours. I'm not away from a power source for that amount of time. Also worth considering that the Pro gets warmer in operation. A small thing but noticeable if used on the lap.