MacBook Pro - Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagoah, Jul 23, 2014.

1. thiagoah, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

thiagoah macrumors member

Hello,

I am about to purchase my first MacBook today. Just wanted a few opinions before I go out and get it!

I currently have a deal through my University & Apple which allows me to purchase the:

13-inch: 2.4GHz with Retina display
    2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics

For a total of $1571 (tax included). Regular price is $1750 (tax included). I am not sure if I should wait any longer for a better discount. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Where do you live? If you are in the US, that model is $1499 retail without any discounts.

3. thiagoah thread starter macrumors member

I live in Toronto, Canada. Unfortunately our retail price is $1549 and with tax I would be looking at $1750.

4. MTL18 macrumors regular

It's a good deal. Futureshop and Bestbuy don't do education discounts in Canada so they are largely non-competitive for students.

If you want to be sure, check the refurb store as this is the October 2013 model. You may find it ever so slightly cheaper...unsure if it is worth it for students though.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Ahh okay, I figured you weren't in the states but wanted to make sure:)

6. x3n0n1c, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Yes they do, it's just that most of the people working there don't know they do.

When I purchased my laptop late last year, I had to show them their own website and they then had to go have a 5 minute chat with their manager because they didn't even know how to do it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/apple-student-discount-program/hc8301.aspx

7. thiagoah thread starter macrumors member

The refurb store has the same model for $1490. I'd save $80 but I'd rather purchase a brand new one.

And you're right, I checked BestBuy, FutureShop, and Staples - they were all selling at the same price. With tax I would be looking at around $1700- $1800.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would save the 80 by buying refurbished and putting that 80 toward Applecare. They have the same warranty and are virtually brand new machines.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd also recommend a trip to the apple refurb store. If you're a student there's discounts at your university (or the apple store) and as the summer winds down you may see big box electronic stores discounting them as well.