Price Advice Macbook Pro worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airattack111, Dec 22, 2014.

1. airattack111 macrumors member

I've been checking ebay lately and the resale value on older unibody macbooks is pretty nice. I was wondering what price range mine is worth?

Late 2008 15 MBP
    128gb SSD
    500gb seagate momentus (in cd drive bay)
    8gb corsair ram
    2.53ghz
    512mb nvidia 9600m gt

Replaced battery less than a year ago. A few tiny dents on the aluminum part of the screen, just normal wear and tear.

I just built a nice desktop and kind of want an ipad air 2.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You might try moving it to the Buying Advice forum - price advice is part of what it is for.

Yours is probably worth about $400-450 or so. Adding an SSD doesn't seem to add much value (certainly nowhere near the cost) based on eBay sold listings. If you have the optical drive, you might part out the SSD and sell the laptop with the optical drive and 500 GB hard drive.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Very accurate - I would second this advice.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Don't check just once source, but get an average from all sites for a more accurate idea. Some sites may be higher/lower than is realistic. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. If the model is recent enough, you can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

5. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

Yep.. haha! Got it when I started college. I plan on getting a new one but I'm waiting for a refresh because the retinas have been out forever. Broadwell + nvidia 980m + 4k would be gangster.

But the resale value for a 6 year old laptop of $350 - $450 is pretty damn good. I may have to take out the SSD and use it as extra storage in my home PC since no one knows wtf an SSD is.

Thanks guys!