MacBook Pro wouldn't turn on - stayed on black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D4rkShaDoWz, Feb 14, 2009.

1. D4rkShaDoWz macrumors member

So on Thursday, I came home to boot up my computer as usual when I noticed something funny. The internal display wouldn't turn on. I heard the disc drive turning on, and the LED's on the caps lock and num lock worked. So naturally, I was scared since I haven't had a backup in a while.

I tried to look online for answers but came across a support page from Apple with instructions on how to fix it. I tried most of them and they didn't work, unfortunately. After various tests, I realized that it could have been the Nvidia problem that people have been experiencing.

I called Apple and they had me run through basically the same things. I reset the PRAM and other various things and nothing worked. At last, I decided that I should bring it in to Apple for repairs...It was the start of my Winter Vacation so that was a bummer. It would take a week too!

So after it sitting there for a half hour, I decided to try to boot it for the last time. It worked. I was so amazed!!! How could this be?? I immediately backed up my files and such and waited for it to crash or something. It didn't. I haven't shut off my computer in 2 days because of the possibility of it dying on me.

I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer.
    1. Has this ever happened to you before?
    2. How long does a Macbook usually take to fix?
    3. Will my MacBook Pro eventually need fixing?
    4. Is my laptop affected by the "nVidia chip"?

Thanks for your time and I'm dying to hear your response.

2. Stachelsk macrumors regular

I don't know which version of the MB Pro you have, but I'm willing to bet your GPU/logic board is fading away on you (which wouldn't surprise me if you have a 8600/9600gt in there, because of all the problems with them). The best thing you could do for it now is to get a program and rev up the GPU fan to full speed to keep that sucker as cool as possible.

When the chip gets hot and then you turnoff the MB and let it cool off, stuff is expanding and compressing. By controlling the maximum temperature of the chip, you can lessen the amount of expanding and compressing.

3. D4rkShaDoWz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. Do you think the Apple Hardware Test could detect an Nvidia problem?

4. Stachelsk macrumors regular

I don't think so. If the screen is on and working, I don't think it will anyways.

5. Junkie2 macrumors member

sometimes when i have my cellphone plugged into my laptop (via usb) this same problem occurs. If you have anything plugged in, take them out.

Thats all i got for ya.

good luck