MacBook Pro - wow! Another Windoze user converted.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allymac, Jun 28, 2008.

1. allymac macrumors member

Got my hands on one of work's MacBook Pros from our laptop pool to work on for a couple of weeks. They are just beautiful. Quick boot up, very quiet, stunning screen. The one I have is a 2.4 Ghz core 2 duo, 2 GB ram, 15" screen. It's an absolute pleasure to use. When my home laptop reaches end of life I think I'm going to replace it with an MBP. I really have enjoyed using it this week, I don't want to give it back!

2. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

3. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

MBPs are great but OS X is even better. (little bit hard to compare though :D )

4. allymac thread starter macrumors member

It's the whole experience really. The build quality of the laptop compared with all the others I've used (and I've used A LOT - I head up a small IT department) is superb, the styling is beautiful. But you're right the OS itself is just brilliant. It just works. It's so intuitive and simple to use, and like I said the boot time compared to Windoze is incredible. I really am smitten :D

5. bigslickster macrumors newbie

Yeah, i got my first apple last november(MBP) and i LOVE it. The only draw back is there are applications i need and games i play that are windows only. If all programs were created equally, i would get rid of my windows desktop in a heart beat. But sadly i cant.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have the same piece that u mentioned in your post, except with 4 gig of ram. It really is a killer piece. I would never consider a return to the 'dark side'

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not heard of bootcamp then?

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Pretty damn pricey to buy any Mac and use bootcamp the majority of the time. It's the hardware/software combo that makes Mac great, not the hardware itself.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

So where did they say anything about using windows all the time and oh sorry i've only been using Macs on & off for around 5yrs now so i know nothing about the hardware/software combo

10. Woot1289 macrumors newbie

Well if you read the quote...

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

HUh?

Well, the previous poster explained your first comment.

Five years of Mac experience would actually be quite a bit for a large amount of people. Um...you don't know that Apple is the only company that makes Mac OS X and their Macs?

12. bigslickster macrumors newbie

Thank you for noticing me saying its a drawback that they dont run on mac and thats the only reason i use windows still....but hey we cant all read properly can we now?

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

can i stick a kick ass video card in my MBP to play my bootcamp games on? can i use a Q6600 quad core in my MBP for my video rendering?

didnt think so

best combo is a MBP/macbook (for internet and basic daily use) and a midrange ~$700 windows desktop for those intense gaming sessions / running windows apps you need a lot of power

14. nephilim7 macrumors regular

you'd have to spend more than that to match the MBP in gaming... give it a spin.

my gaming desktop is a 6750 quad with dual ati 3870s, obviously it has more oomph, but not enough for me to bother walking over there and turning it on.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Obviously not, but that sure would be nice. You'd think we'd all be able to.

16. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Wow, talk about a highjacked thread turnin' ugly... :(

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

until i get mine ill be at the apple store/bestbuy everyday using the mbp's :D

18. sixtyone macrumors newbie

they are pretty sweet... i just got mine this week...

quick learning curve and such a solid machine...

and yes, the screen is amazing

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

HAHAHA

okydokey

Motherboard $56
    CPU 2.4ghz core2Duo $119 (we're only going for $700 not quad core)
    Memory 4gb $79
    HD 320gb $69
    Hd3870 $135
    DVD burner $25
    Case $45
    Vista Home Premium $89 swap XP Home for same price if you wish

shipping ~$49

$665 with above config
    $755 with a 2.4ghz Quad core

and dont tell me that wouldn't whip the crap outta a MBP playing ANY game

20. nephilim7 macrumors regular

your mbp must be broken, you have an ati one?

you also forgot the display, and the power supply (3870 isn't going to run on a cheap 'comes with the case' PSU)

the only game I have to run on my desktop is crysis at full option, use mbp for everything else happily.

cheers

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

So what's wrong with you people?,yes i understand a windows desktop is better for gaming for power reasons,but there are plenty of users on here that play games using bootcamp & have windows only applications,oh and i'm sorry i cant be as perfect as you make yourself's out to be,try getting your head out your own ass

22. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i have a 2.4 how do i have an ATI one?

as far as PSU, yes i forgot that here is a nice silverstone 400w (even comes with 6pin PCIE conn.) that will run it just fine, its 46 dollars which puts us at about 701 a far cry from the "you'd have to spend more than that to match the MBP in gaming" that you suggested

and we're talking about building a windows desktop which doesn't have to include a monitor, im sure most people who would WANT a gaming machine have a monitor laying around they can use with it

ok, i understand that, im just saying bootcamp isnt the end all beat all solution for people who need to run windows thats all...

i run bootcamp on my MBP just for those special occasions i need a windows all that wont run in parallels and i need a real windows environment for, that i dont want to run on my desktop

in your original post where you suggested bootcamp you made it seem like that was the perfect solution for everyone, and its not

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Well i'm sorry but that wasn't how it was meant to come across,the way i saw it was a solution & NOT the be all & end all,to be honest i'm not into gaming but i do use bootcamp alot for other stuff ( work related ) & need a portable so for me the MBP is the perfect machine as soon as i'm finished with windows i either re-boot into OS X or suspend my VM,people see things in different ways,and a slagging off was a little unfair

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, like i said, i apologize, it just seemed as if you were suggesting getting rid of all windows desktops in favor of bootcamp, and i was just pointing out how this wouldn't work

25. nephilim7 macrumors regular

not trying to add to the nastiness in the other part of this thread. Its already full of enough fail.

most of the parts you listed were scary. Not saying you can't build a good reliable game rig that can spank the mbp for like half the price (or even less), but I think $700 is pushing it.

I'd put the figure at more around a grand to $1200 for decent stuff. (without display)

without the backdrop of whatever the arguments were about in the above messages this probably would have been a normalish back and forth, I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I apologize if I'm coming across as either pedantic or nitpicking. I really do enjoy the ability of my mbp to play games.

cheers