Macbook Pro, XRay, Airport, Customs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Jun 14, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hello everyone, some of you Macrumors regulars might remember me for all the plans i've made to finally get the macbook pro i've been wanting for 3 years.
    Thing is i live in Turkey and i am a Turkish citizen. i5 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro is 3100$ here. Yeah a rip off. So i asked a friend of mine who has both U.S. and Turkish citizenships and he is going to USA for a vacation this Friday. What i will do is order it from amazon to his u.s. address and he will bring it when coming back here at the end of June. So i will get it tax free and way cheaper than in Turkey

The problem is at first i didn't want him to open the box of it, kind of a geeky move but i will use it for at least 4 years and i want it for 3 years. I have to be captious about this. He said there might be a problem at the customs, so i said ok take it out of the box if necessary but get it to your hand bag, carefully and do not power it up. And he said they will want me to power it up at the airport,to see if it is a real laptop. If that does happen i will lose the welcome screen(not that big of a deal) but the mas os x snow leopard setup screen will show, asking for all the information.

Do you think there will be any problems at the customs and airport? Any suggestions? Should he open it and fill informations for me? Should he not take it out of the box. He is leaving in 2 days so please i need all advices i can possibly get. Please think as geeky as i am thinking right now. This is my first mac and i've been wanting it for the past 2-3 years.

Thanks for all the advices...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's not out of the box looking like a normal, used laptop he's definitely going to have to pay duty on it. You might be able to get away with sticking the box in checked baggage, but if they open it up and find it you're probably going to have to pay a fine in addition to the duty.