Macbook Pro "Z" key popped off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paola105, Jun 2, 2008.

1. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

My Z key on my MBP popped off and the little snaps on the key itself broke, so I cant pop it back in! What should I do? Go to apple or order a new key online?
    thanks

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't think Apple will sell you a new one.

Are you sure the damage is only to the key, and not to the keyboard? If so, you can find replacement keys on EBay. It will probably set you back less than 10 bucks.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you are still under warranty or have AppleCare, I think Apple will replace the keyboard at no charge. Bring it to one of the stores. The key shouldn't have popped off to begin with.

4. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

It's just the keycap. I ordered a spare key online for 11 bucks

5. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

I'm still under warranty, but I don't think I need the whole thing replaced.
    I just ordered a spare keycap online.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The Z fits in only 1 way, you might have it upside down.

If you are technically competent, you can actually pop another key to see how it fits.

It'll literally take 30 seconds to put the key back if it's not a broken part.

7. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

No I didn't have it upside down. I popped off the option key, it snapped back perfectly. This one has broken hinges. I guess I'll wait for the replacement to come

8. myusername macrumors member

myusername

Go to an Apple Retail Store

Bring your MBP into an Apple store they will pop one off an old keyboard plastic and all and out the door in 2 minutes, depending on bar traffic.

-r

9. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

What if I just wait for the replacement key to arrive? The scissor mechanism is intact. All I need is a keycap. I don't want to drive for 30 minutes just to get a different keycap.

10. JWest macrumors 6502

I didn't think you could remove the indevidual keys from the MBP without permanently damaging the keyboard. Do the keys "pop" off?

11. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

It happens every now and then. Apple even has a support document dedicated to the issue.

Most Apple Stores or 3rd party retailers have some old dead hardware in the back that they can pry a key off. This happened to my PowerBook's delete key, but one trip to my local Apple retailer (WestWorld in my case) and I was off in a few minutes with a new key. And I will say this, it didn't cost me $11 plus shipping.

12. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

I just received the replacement cap, because I didn't want to bother and drive for 30 minutes for something so small.
    It looks good as new. :D