Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soulflower, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

I have an old Macbook and have been waiting (seems like forever) to upgrade to a Macbook Pro. I'm getting impatient waiting on the new ones to come out.

What features do you expect to see on the new ones? Will it be worth it to wait?

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

It's anybody's guess as to what features may or may not be on the next generation of MacBook Pros.

Your best bet would be to purchase it when you need it, because otherwise you'll be waiting forever for the next best thing. The current generation MacBook Pro is no slouch by any means and is a worthwhile investment.

3. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I agree with the guy above me. Buy it when you need it, otherwise you'll be waiting your whole life for the next best thing.

4. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

I'm going with a 13" for sure and still trying to decide between the i5 and the i7. How much difference is there in the speed or can you tell me why I would want one over the other. Is there enough difference to make it worth the extra $$$?

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Not worth it for what most of us use a computer for on a daily basis. If you have extreme needs then maybe so?

6. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Not worthy if you don't edit professional videos or something like that.

7. redbrick macrumors newbie

At this point, you might as well wait till the next iteration. The previous posters are correct....with that mind set...you will end up waiting for ever. Buy it only when you absolutely need that upgrade. I held on to my powerbook G4 1.67 till February/March for this 2011 Macbook 15. I love it minus the bits of annoyances... I would recommend the 15" only because it strikes a perfect balance on size a portability....that properly defines what a portable should be...just my thoughts....

8. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

Opinions on the refurbished?

Both of these are the same price and pretty similar.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5
    Originally released February 2011

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Originally released April 2010

Thanks for your help.

9. redbrick macrumors newbie

Just based on that info, I would choose the i5, but even the i5 seems like a crippled i7 and really not much difference from the Core 2 Duo. (Just my opinion...) I'm sure you are also considering the condition of the units as well... I say just wait a little longer if you can and blow your money on the next iteration.... It's what I did...went from powerpc 1.67ghz to this 2.3ghz- i7.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

the current mbp is great. the one rumored to come out next year may or may not have a redesigned body, but even if it does, it probably won't be a huge difference. in fact, as a first generation, it might have some issues that need to be worked out. we don't know anything about it.

we also don't know anything about your needs. if the mb is running fine (no matter how old it is) and has plenty of power for you, then you might as well wait until you actually need a new computer.

depending on your needs, you might be better off getting the mba, which will be refreshed in a few days.

11. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That 2011 model with the i5 is at least double the power of the 2010 model. If they are similar in price then get the 2011 model.

12. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

If you need a new computer, buy it. If you can wait and want to wait and think you need a more powerful computer than what is currently available, then wait. I originally was going to buy the MacBook Pro unibody when it first came out in October 2008. I waited because I thought something better might come. Waited through 2008, 2009, 2010, and finally, in July 2011 I got my MacBook Pro and am VERY happy!

in 2008 I bought an HP and hated it for the 3 years that I used it, always regretted not buying the MBP. The 13" MBP i5 fit my needs perfectly and I haven't looked back. Of course, it's only been 2 weeks, but I don't see me regretting this decision.