Price Advice MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jsquared, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I'm thinking of getting the 13 inch MBP with 4GB Ram and 500GB HD for $1199 - Education Discount (mom works at local college) = $1099.

But the store I'm buying from, MacAuthority- authorized Mac store, will update the RAM to 8GB for $99 making the total $1200 and some change plus tax.

I'd like someone to tell me this is a good deal.

Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can save 50 to 60 USD and by 8 GB RAM yourself via Newegg for 40 USD and maybe have the appropriate tools already and install it yourself. It is quite easy.

3. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

Yeah I was watching that online. I've messed with enough iPhones I assumed it couldn't be much harder. But if the store I buy from will do it and keep it under warranty I'd rather do that.

4. simsaladimbamba

And if you do it yourself, your Mac will still have warranty, as RAM and HDD are user-replaceable parts and don't void the warranty, though the third-party HDD and RAM will only be covered by the store/manufacturer your bought them from and not Apple.

5. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

So the only thing that worries me is static shocking something and frying it...but honestly how often does that happen and it seems preventable?

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You wont hurt the computer - just watch a tutorial it will give you the confidence to do it.

7. WhoisMedina macrumors member

8. Marcus PM macrumors member

Marcus PM

Popping in additional RAM is so easy, even I have done it on each of my three laptops over the past 12 years. They make it easier with each new model.

9. diamond3 macrumors 6502a