MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chatterbox9924, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Chatterbox9924 macrumors newbie

Hello please help me, I have a MacBook Pro that did an update, now when it starts up I get the chimes, then a screen with a grey apple, after it seems to load the screen then goes black. I tried starting it up with the shift key and blind input my user ID and password, I get the rolling rainbow for like 3 seconds and then nothing. Apple wants $200 just to fix it! I really need help. I have a smaller MacBook Pro, can I make a reboot USB from that mac to get mine up and running? I read somewhere that this is a common problem from some type of update. I tried to reinstall, but the recovery disk said it was locked and it would only let me pick the HD drive, but in the end, it was the same thing, still a black screen.

Thank you for anyone who is able to help me with this.
    Colleen

2. simsaladimbamba

What update did you install?
    What exact Mac model from what year do you have? What OS is on it?
    Do you have any kind of backups for that Mac? Do you have an installer handy?

Btw, you can use your other Mac to create a OS X 10.9 Mavericks installer if you want and can.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. Chatterbox9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's what I know

It's 2 years old and I think it's Mac OS X 10.7.5 version
    It's a 2.0GHz quad-core 17 processor
    As for the update I'm not sure. I delayed it and didn't really read it. Then it updated itself.
    I'm so sorry that's all I know

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

15" MacBook Pro?

Most likely a failed AMD Radeon GPU if it's the late-2011 model, just co-incidenally failed when you rebooted after the update. It's a common problem, that Apple won't publicly admit to.

5. Chatterbox9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes 15

Is it a problem that someone can walk me through?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Big thread here : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1697394

Get it to the local Apple Store for diagnosis.

By way of a short explanation - your Mac has two display chips. A slower low power one built into the i7, and an AMD Radeon that uses lots of power and is wicked fast. OS X switches between the two as it sees fit. When the Radeon stops working the computer will typically scramble the display, then on start up fail to load OS X as it can't find the malfunctioning Radeon.

It can't easily be repaired. Apple will just swap the logic board, which is the main circuit board in the laptop for a refurbished one.

7. Chatterbox9924 thread starter macrumors newbie