Macbook Pro

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
at my school they are having a closeout sale for the Macbook Pro 15 inch. 1.83 Core Duo, 512mb RAM, 80gb hard drive for just $1299. Should I get it? Or is that a sign that C2D will be out very shortly? Even still, it is a great price that is just at the top of my budget

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
That is a killer deal for a 15" MBP. Who cares if a new chip is coming out? It's not that much faster, and you're getting a Pro at MB prices.

You'll need a minimum of 1 GB (total) of RAM, and I highly recommend buying a 1GB stick (bringing you up to 1.5GB).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
dwd3885 said:
at my school they are having a closeout sale for the Macbook Pro 15 inch. 1.83 Core Duo, 512mb RAM, 80gb hard drive for just $1299. Should I get it? Or is that a sign that C2D will be out very shortly? Even still, it is a great price that is just at the top of my budget
this is a decent deal, it's not THAT great of a deal... 1.83 core duo is out and gone long ago... but i think it's still a decent machine

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
bearbo said:
this is a decent deal, it's not THAT great of a deal... 1.83 core duo is out and gone long ago... but i think it's still a decent machine
Um, "long ago"? It was phased out, what, six months ago for something only marginally faster?

Buy it or not, $1299 for a new MBP that's likely not noticeably slower than the next rev will be for almost all apps you'll be using is a good price. It's not like the PPC->Intel switch. CD->C2D is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
dwd3885 said:
That's a great deal. If it's just at the top of your budget, there's no way you'll be able to afford a new C2D machine anyways. I paid $1750 for a 15" powerbook about a year ago (and I got a good deal at school), to show you how far the machines have come and what a good price you're looking at. I'd buy it in a second, with no regrets at all.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Heck yeah, that's a good deal. You should go for it. In fact, if the new processors come out within a few days of you getting it or if you even just change your mind I'll even buy it from you!

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I think it's safe to say that we would be all over a deal like that here ;)

Just imagine if Apple charged you that amount from the Apple Store...good bye competition and Hell :D

Ok ok, I do mean Dell...but you get the point :p

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I bought it!! I couldn't pass up a deal that is the exact same price as the Blackbook and so much better. I always said that my ideal laptop would be a 15-inch Powerbook. So now it's even better! Hopefully it has no issues that I have heard the MBP's having. I doubt it will though. I'm really excited to get back to the OSX world as well. Macless since April 06

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
yeah...that is one sweet deal. just more proof that c2d mbp's are right around the corner.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
the guy said 3-6 months when i asked him but he had a smirk on his face :) They have actually had this deal going on for the past two weeks. Today was just the first time I walked in the tech store in a while. ALso, I notice that whenever apple has the 1.83 MBP on refurb they are always $1549. So this is a massive saver for me and it's NEW!

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Well i'm on my NEW MBP!!! It's awesome! Downloading updates and all right now. I have a question about the power cord. It seems very short. Is there anything that can be done or bought to extend this cord? Other than that, this is very neat :)

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Wow, that is a sweet deal. 1.83 CD is not "out and long ago" by any means. There are problems with Apple in that they are not giving out the best but still charging like they do. But a MBP for $1299? Regardless of spec, even $1399 would be a pretty good deal. $1299 is you conducting highway robbery on your school :D

Congrats on your purchase :)

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Long ago? How quickly some forget the PPC days...

The 1.83 GHz Core Duo is still offered in new MacBooks.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
prady16 said:
Which university/college ?
Univ of Mo. Tigertech. mutigertech.com. I'm pretty sure it's only for students, but who knows.

I figured out that power cord issue. Didn't even see the adapter cable in the box! Now I'm loving this even more than before :)

illegaloperatio

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Illinois
Quit rubbin our noses in this poop and tell us a way to get in on this madness ;)

You paid what I did for a macbook vanilla and got a Macbook Pro!

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
illegaloperatio said:
Quit rubbin our noses in this poop and tell us a way to get in on this madness ;)

You paid what I did for a macbook vanilla and got a Macbook Pro!
yeah, sorry! I'm not gonna get that iMac tho. I'm just really excited to be back in the Mac world. It's AWESOME!!

This is a great laptop

Kenya

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
dwd3885 said:
Well i'm on my NEW MBP!!! It's awesome! Downloading updates and all right now. I have a question about the power cord. It seems very short. Is there anything that can be done or bought to extend this cord? Other than that, this is very neat :)
Congratulations on your great deal! I just purchased a 15" 2.0 MBP with edu discount and it was $1800 (not including tax). Good for you!

The power cord can be made longer by using the funny little doohicky that came with it. It's hard to explain what it looks like, especially when I'm sleepy, but it should have been in the box next to your power cord. It extends it about 3 feet I think.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Kenya said:
The power cord can be made longer by using the funny little doohicky that came with it. It's hard to explain what it looks like, especially when I'm sleepy, but it should have been in the box next to your power cord. It extends it about 3 feet I think.
Yeah, I found that and it made my day. I thought all this greatness was going to be foiled by a tiny little power cord, but a las, it was not. I am really liking the iSight and Front Row. The movie trailer feature is really cool.

Kenya

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
dwd3885 said:
Yeah, I found that and it made my day. I thought all this greatness was going to be foiled by a tiny little power cord, but a las, it was not. I am really liking the iSight and Front Row. The movie trailer feature is really cool.
I can understand. I stripped one of my screws trying to install ram and I thought that one little thing would ruin my MBP experience. It hasn't of course cuz the MBP kicks booty. I like Front Row alot and use it much more than I thought I would have. I like iSight tolo and I can't wait to try out iChat. After using Windows for almost a year, I sort of feel like a Switcher.

Going to try the movie trailer thing now.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
dwd3885 said:
dude, i'll give you $1350+tax&shipping to get me one. haha.