Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brettr1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2007
I have been using PCs for years and am wanting to get a mac. I am going to buy a macbook pro, and was wondering if anyone has any idea when the next updated release will be. Also can someone tell how much of a performance issue I would see with a 4200 rpm hard drive versus a 5400 or 7200 rpm. Thank you.

yodermk

macrumors member
May 13, 2006
Anyone can guess, and that's all we can do. Personally I think we'll see an update by the end of June at the latest.

Get at least a 5400RPM drive. That is sufficient for general use. 7200s are definitely faster but not essential unless you are a heavy media user (video editing, etc).

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
I have been using PCs for years and am wanting to get a mac. I am going to buy a macbook pro, and was wondering if anyone has any idea when the next updated release will be. Also can someone tell how much of a performance issue I would see with a 4200 rpm hard drive versus a 5400 or 7200 rpm. Thank you.

Do a search and you'll find a plethora of threads asking the EXACT SAME question.

June is really just a best guess based on past release timelines. There's no guarantee.

If you need a mac, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait until you can't any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.