Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yizi, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Yizi macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm new to the Mac world so I need some advice. I'm planning to get a new laptop for my graphic use tomorrow, few friends told me to get Macbook Pro, but I havent got any information about this laptop.

Anyone can give me some information or if they know a better laptop that can beat this machine in price and performance.

Thanks,
    Yizi

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

You think i should upgrade the RAM with apple to 4 GB or buy it separately?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

If you have questions that these sources doesn't cover, you can check to see if it has been answered in another thread by doing a Google search of the forums. I hope this helps!

5. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

Great information will look into it. Thanks

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

definitely buy the ram separately. It's easy to install yourself and you can get cheap ram from third party sources like OWC.

For graphics use get the matte screen, although glossy is very pretty. Which model were you looking at 2.4 or 2.5?

7. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I'm considering buying the RAM later, I'm getting the 2.5 the 15".
    I also read somewhere the battery life isn't good on Apple laptop's is that true?

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

what do you mean isn't good? You'll get 4.5-5 hours depending on your usage and configuration

9. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

No people said it blows up! Thats what I'm scared of.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. I average 4+ hours, which is better than most of the other notebooks I've had over the years.

You need to start reading facts and ignoring myths that uninformed Windows users throw around. If you search hard enough, you can probably find a case where a Dell "blew up" or a Toshiba or anything else. No, you don't have to worry about a MacBook Pro "blowing up".

In general, it's wise to only take advice about Macs from someone who has experience with Macs.

11. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

If thats the case then its good.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP is a terrific computer. I'm a recent switcher, and I bought mine in April and have been getting to know it ever since. It's fast, powerful, aesthetically attractive, offers great performance, has excellent spec and comes with a superb screen. Have to say that I'm a very happy camper with it.

Blowing up? What do you mean, blowing up? MBPs don't usually "blow up". Some of them have had issues with nVidia cards and excessive heat; if the machine is under warranty, such defects are generally remedied, or the machine itself replaced.

General extra advice would be to get more RAM (something I need to look into for myself, but I'm not a gamer); moreover, as I need MS Word in my daily work - everyone uses it in my work world - I had to get Office for Mac, but generous discounts exist for those in the educational world. Cheers and good luck with the research and the switch.

13. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

OK i didnt got the Macbook pro but i got the 24" iMac with 3.06 ghz.
    Its huge and i love it!

I just need to upgrade the RAM and them wooo
    Thanks for the help everyone!