Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macgeek77, Sep 11, 2008.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I am going to college, and am selecting a new Apple laptop.

My college specified that I would need a "Graphics Media Accelerator" and a minimum of a 128 MB graphics card.

I think this pretty much leaves out the Macbooks (even if it didn't, the Macbook seems to be toward the minimum requirements end).

Turning to the Macbook Pros, I know I would only be interested in the 15" models. I am going to school for Engineering. I also like to store a lot of media, probably play some games, record music for myself/my band, maybe use Final Cut Express, etc.

I can afford either the 2.4 or 2.5 Ghz models. I know the 2.5 Ghz model obviously has a little more horsepower under the hood with regard to CPU speed and also an upgrade of the cache (3MB to 6MB). There is also the bonus of 50 more gigs of HD space, and of course the double video memory. Can anyone recommend either the 2.4 or the 2.5 model for my needs? Thanks for any help/suggestions!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Always get the faster processor if you can afford it, especially on a laptop, since the processor cannot be upgraded. The RAM and HD can always be upgraded later.

I would get the 2.5, as it will likely last the longest, and give you the best performance for what you want to do.

TEG

3. macgeek77 thread starter macrumors regular

Great!

How important is the MB level of the cache?

Thanks!