Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theimagemakr, Nov 11, 2008.

1. theimagemakr macrumors newbie

OK so the newbie has landed. All my gear is PC so I thought why not jump in cheaply. Bought a Macbook Pro 2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo at a garage sale .... no charger and the kid changed his password and don't remember it.

So my dilema is locating a charger, I can handle that. But how do I crack the password requirement with no software disks.

If I have to have a disk, what do I need? Remember newbie here so go easy on me and give some dummy step by step to get me through this.

Thanks

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

What you can do is boot up into safe mod (cmd+S i believe) and when you get to the terminal type this:

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

hit enter, then type 'reboot' and hit enter again.

When it boots up it will go through the whole flying through space thing and the general setup as though you've just installed Leopard. Set up an account for yourself, but make sure you tell it not to transfer your data. When you log in you will have an admin account with which you can remove his account or peruse his home folder (though you will need to use the terminal to nose around his files).
    Idk how to do this if its Tiger though.

3. theimagemakr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank you much for your time and assistance.

4. BiffWebster macrumors newbie

Not trying to stir up the usual ethics question, but it sounds like that computer could have very well been stolen. It just happens to be missing a charger...and he just happens to not know the password...

I'm not implying that you did anything wrong. However, you have to wonder on something like that. Just some food for thought...

5. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I gotta agree with the above post. That laptop sounds suspect.

Regardless, if you purchase a copy of Leopard, you can blast it to the past and have a clean installation of Mac OS X with your own username and passwords.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Usually if its one or the other, I'd be believing, but both combined... :confused:

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

It may very well have been stolen, but i will give the OP the benefit of the doubt. If he/she already has the computer its only a matter of time before they get a install disc and use it anyway.