Macbook Pro3,1 top cover shaky...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BioCore, Dec 21, 2009.

1. BioCore macrumors regular

Hi there everyone,

So I was just wondering about something. I tried to search for similar problems on the forums, but could not find any. I basically had to send in my late 2007 macbook pro due to the nVidia graphics problems, they said they were changing the whole logic board.

Since it was stil covered I didn't pay a dime, but when I got it back and I just noticed this today; the top keyboard cover seems a bit weird. Near the bottom end (area on top of HDD), the cover is pushed up a bit and when I press it specifically it moves down and up and makes a weird scratchy noise. I think it is similar to metal on metal type scratching. I was wondering if this is dangerous or not, I am not thinking much of it right now as Apple did the repairs and I 'm sure they would have noticed any dangerous things. But should I worry, and if I can fix it myself, how would I be able to do this?

Sorry for the long post.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Just because it's Apple, doesn't mean everything their repair team touches turns into gold. At the end of the day, Apple is just another company. Steve Jobs doesn't stand over each repair and inspect it. While the majority of repairs will be sufficiently done, the odd one might not.

If your keyboard isn't sitting right, take it back: be polite and firm about being a bit annoyed, but grateful it'll be fixed.

3. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

The problem isn't the keyboard, which is perfectly working. The problem is the area right over the Hard Drive, near the edge of the laptop. That part is slightly popped out and as you push down a bit it sounds like there is some kind of pressure that shouldn't be there.

I'm not sure if I should get it checked out, or if it is nothing to be worried out. I guess I might go back today. Would they require a genius appointment for something like this? Since I picked it up yesterday.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Try press it together, I've opened mine a few times and I have to push it quite hard to make it snap in place, else i get the scraping metal sound you are talking about. Afterwards take out the battery and fasten the screws on the edge that are pointing towards you, it's a bit awkward to tighten the enough unless you have a really good screwdriver ph#00

5. kolax macrumors G3

Ah right the actual case. Take a photo so we can see how bad it is.

If it is bothering you, tell them you aren't happy..

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Yes I've had this problem. When I got my Macbook Pro back from repairs, the whole top case wasn't screwed in properly. The area you mention was especially loose and would make an annoying grating sound every time I laid my hands down to type. I eventually got them to replace the top case because of their crappy job. Did I mention I received free crumbs on my keyboard when I picked up my laptop?

I found through experience taking aparr the laptop that it can only be opened once before the top case will never be the same. The top case requires a lot of force to be pried open and the prongs will inevitably be bent. I don't think Apple thought about the repairability of the laptop when it was designed.